High X server CPU utilization in 11.1 when X session idle

I’ve been using openSuSE 11.1 for almost two weeks and am generally impressed with how smoothly the installation went and the stability of the platform. I do have a few X server (or perhaps nvidia driver) issues that I’d like some help with.

1. (The most serious problem.) When an X session (running KDE4) is idle for some period of time (say about 10 minutes) its CPU utilization shoots to 100%. I disabled the screensaver to rule that out and it made no difference. If I have two X sessions running (on vt7 and vt8), the one not currently selected will go to 100% while the one I am using behaves normally. If both sessions are idle, I can see from the text-based console that both X processes have moved to 100% (it’s a dual core machine). I don’t see any telling messages in the X log files or dmsg. As soon as I switch to the inactive window, it’s X CPU utilization drops to normal (even if I don’t type anything or move the mouse) and everything works just fine after that. X is very stable (no crashes so far), but the CPU utilization when idle is hard to explain and very “expensive.”

2. This appears to be entirely a cosmetic problem, but KDE4 widgets or defined rectangular regions in the task bar occasionally blink between “normal” and “mostly black”. Mousing over them seems to get them to behave for a while. Nothing crashes and I cannot see any lasting effects of the problem. My wife says she’s seen entire windows do this, but I’ve never seen that (yes, my non-technical wife uses Linux… I am blessed). This happens with both the fancy KDE4 effects enabled and disabled.

3. DPMS doesn’t work if a screen saver is enabled (I saw someone else mention this as well). Disabling the screen saver will allow DPMS to turn off the monitor, as expected, after the time expires.

I cannot find any references to my first or second problem, so I am wondering if this is an interaction with my nvidia driver (which is up to date). Here’s the info about it:

root@alpha /etc/postfix cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model: Quadro FX 540
IRQ: 16
Video BIOS: 05.43.02.64.35
Card Type: PCI-E
DMA Size: 39 bits
DMA Mask: 0x7fffffffff
Bus Location: 08.00.0
root@alpha /etc/postfix cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 177.82 Tue Nov 4 16:50:05 PST 2008
GCC version: gcc version 4.3.2 [gcc-4_3-branch revision 141291] (SUSE Linux)

I know my way around the server side of Linux pretty well, but have never really developed any expertise with X so I am not sure how to debug this or what other info the X experts might find useful. Let me know!

Thanks for any insights.

I have experienced exact same problem with x-window on SUSE 11.1 64-bit using ATI X1300 (old) video card. Also updated the video driver - no affect. After idle for approx 10 mins - starts using 100% of CPU. I do not have solution, but wanted to note have experienced same issue with different video card / system.

My previous 11.1 install did this. But my current install (in which I did nothing different AFAIK) does not. Go figure.

Someone suggested that it was the PSU fan making all the noise, but I don’t know if this is the case.

Gentlemen, I believe we have a bona fide OpenSuse mystery on our hands.

Hi,

I’m experiencing the same issue with my HP nc6120 [intel 915GM video card].
I’m running opensuse 11.1 with KDE3 [KDE4 is not a way I want to go now]. But I still have few KDE4 packages that have been installed automatically.

The key words of the issues are: kded4, DPMS and powerdevil.

Here is an interesting link [go through the previous threads]:
Re: 100% CPU usage of Xorg after 15 minutes
…and the related powerdevil bug:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=174897

As I do not really care about KDE4 applications, I’ve choose to take the easy way and uninstall powerdevil:

zypper remove powerdevil-1.4.1-4.3 kdebase4-workspace-4.1.3-10.1.i586 kdebase4-openSUSE-11.1-66.4.i586

I’m not experiencing the X hight CPU issue anymore using opensuse 11.1 and KDE3… :slight_smile:

If you are a KDE4 user you should wait for the packagers to port the latest powerdevil 1.4.2 that will probably fix the issue:
PowerDevil KDE-Apps.org

If you want to check if the latest version has been ported to opensuse:
Software.openSUSE.org

I disabled “dim display after x min” in power management settings, and load is now normal.

I’m experiencing the same thing on a Dell Precision M4400 with an nVidia Quadro FX 770M display adapter. The software is openSUSE 11.1 and NVidia 177.82-1.1. The backlight can be off or on, lid closed or open, and no indications of what’s going on in the logs that I can find.

I would prefer not to leave my backlight on 24-hours a day as I typically don’t shut the computer down at night.

Found this:
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=461335

It appears that powerdevil-1.4.1-17 fixes the issue.

You can find the package in this openSUSE BuildService repository:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/STABLE:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.1/

goddamn! I had the same issue with my last install. I tried everything (including reinstall). My resolution was to change GPU. The card giving errors was a gigabyte GV-8400. I swapped it for an older 7950XT (I paid a **** load for this card originally) that fixed my out of control CPU usage. There is a chance that this is a reporting issue. It has popped up a few times already in this thread. should we BUG this??

I have this problem too
DELL XPS m1530 ,opensuse 11.1 ,NVidia 177.82
gnome with compiz enabled.
when my pc is idle and screensaver is active,
my computer consume lots of CPU .
that is when my pc is idle and screensaver is active,my pc’s cpu load is very high,after i move mouse or press any key to inactive screensaver ,cpu usage become normal.
I install kde 4.1 ,but rare use it . i realize some people said that is might because powerdevil ,so i install the newst powerdevil,but have no affect about the high cpu usage.
is this a bug,any one have workaround about it?