Unable to update Suse 11

Hello all,

I’m running into a problem with updates. I have a yellow triangle where the update button should be and I get the following message when I press it:

Problem loading data from ‘/11.1/repo/oss’ Error reading solv-file: /var/cache/zypp/solv/_11.1_repo_oss/solv Try ‘zypper refresh’, or even ‘zypper clean -m’ before doing so.

There are many more lines similar to this one in the message, apparently for each for each repository.
I followed the instructions given here to the best of my ability. I opened a “run command” window, switched user to root, and checked “run in a terminal window”. Then I ran “zypper refresh” first and “zypper clean-m” second. They had no noticeable effect. On my last successful update there was a message that popped up about updating Yast and some instructions but I didn’t get a chance to read them. I get a different error when I log into the Yast control centre and click on “online update”: “error while creating client module online update”. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ingvar

We can assume you have an active internet connection??

Use zypper in a terminal again
but first do this

rpmdb --rebuilddb

now

zypper ref

zypper up

What does it do?

Hello Caf4296

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am connected to the Internet. I think it may be useful for you to assume I know almost nothing, because that is close to true, especially when it comes to Linux. I did what you instructed. It seems to do nothing.I opened a terminal program window (Konsole) from the start button, then switched user (su root) and typed my password. Then I cut and pasted the first command you gave in your reply. It did nothing. But I tried the other two and still nothing happened. ,

Well, I need to change that. Something is happening now. It just refreshed my repositories it seems. I’m getting the message in the terminal window. I also ran the commands by right clicking on the desktop and using the “run command” option. I have always assumed that was basically the same as running Konsole. Not sure if that is true though. Right now the Konsole window is displaying a Java license window. It may be downloading something also. I’m not sure. Actually, it is downloading stuff.I just figured out how to get past the license. I’ll just post this for now. Thanks again for your reply.

Ingvar

Let us know how you get on

FYI

zypper up (= update)

Zypper/Usage/11.1 - openSUSE

Thank you again.It seems to be a very big update. Could I be updating to 11.1? It’s not what I planned for the night but I can do it.I had started this evening with 11.0 and didn’t feel any need to update it particularly. But it’s not a disaster or anything. I had planned to back things up before I upgraded, that’s all. I dual boot so most of my important stuff is also on my windows partition.

Ingvar

Don’t try and stop it now.

The update? well that will depend on your enabled repo’s.

we have to assume you know what you are doing here.

If this is a fresh install of 11.0
Then expect a BIG update.

Ok,. I don’t think you can assume that I know what I’m doing. I had a few repositories added in for 11.1, but not all the necessary ones from what I understood. I was hoping at one point for it to upgrade automatically but when it didn’t work I gave up. I just assumed Suse wouldn’t do anything as big as upgrading to 11.1 without telling me clearly and distinctly that it was doing specifically that.

Well, never mind. I’ve hit a snag. Here’s the error message:

Abort, retry, ignore? [A/r/i]: r
Installing: libavfilter0-0.4.9.16144-1.1 [error]
Installation of libavfilter0-0.4.9.16144-1.1 failed:
(with --nodeps --force) Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: open of /var/cache/zypp/packages/VideoLan failed: No such file or directory
error: open of Repository/i586/libavfilter0-0.4.9.16144-1.1.i586.rpm failed: No such file or directory

Abort, retry, ignore? [A/r/i]:

I’ve done retry once twice to no effect, but it’s Videolan. I don’t think there is anything crucial on that repository. So I think ignore would be safe for now. What should I do? It looks like something I can probably get later.

Ingvar

Edit: I hit ignore, and things are proceeding. We’ll see what happens.

OK. This does not sound so good now. Yes, skip.

But having 11.1 repos and 11.0 together !

It is possible to update but not like this.

Let it run and see. Are you running in X? You know - a desktop GUI?

Yes, I’m running KDE, if I understand your question. My computer is running well. I’m surfing the net, reading, and checking on the progress of things as we speak. I’m posting this on the computer that is “updating”. I have a good fast Internet connection sometimes 600 or more k per second. So whatever is happening is happening.

Ingvar

Fine leave it to run
Don’t reboot

When it finishes - see if you can open Yast - Software Repositories

you need to end up with either all 11.0 or 11.1 - Not a mix.

If you decide to go for 11.1 (fine)
Put in the equivalent of the 11.0 ones you have

When done you need to press
Ctrl-Alt-F1
login as root at the CLI

then type:
init 3
(hit the enter key once then again)

You are logged in as root to level3 so now do

zypper ref

then

zypper dup

when done reboot
and hope

Thanks for the instructions. I have most of my stuff backed up, so I can feel fairly relaxed about all this.I also have a few spare hard drives with windows or Suse 10.3 installed kicking around that I can just throw in and go. I can get what I need off my hard windows partition that way, if whatever happens prevents me from running windows also. I will do whatever works. I can upgrade properly later if I need to. I’m glad it’s the holidays and I have some spare time. Thanks again.

Ingvar

A live cd like mepis with a root login is good for picking files up from just about any drive, I think the suse cd will do it to.

It didn’t work. I couldn’t boot into Linux when I finished. I am getting rather tired now and non-functional. So I’m going to sleep and fix this in the morning, perhaps by installing 11.1. We’ll see. It was complaining about partitions not being mounted and stuff like that. I unplugged the computer and restarted, then booted to windows. I have a program called Explore2fs on my windows side of things and it tells me my files in the Linux partition are still there. This is good. Would I lose them if I install 11.1 on top of what I have there now? Thanks again for all the help.

Ingvar

You can keep your /home as is, do not format during a new install. Use the same username. That will keep all your user settings and files.

But you will have to re-install all your 3rd party applications, you know, all the multi-media stuff etc…