Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.1 systems locking up?

Blog Entries

Default 11.1 systems locking up?

I wonder how many of you have experienced your 11.1 system locking up.

Two of my three 11.1 systems seem to lock up sporadically. Around once every few hours to once a day. No obvious correlation to any event, except high I/O load seems to trigger it in for the server. No particular hardware in question, the two systems are about as different as can be, one is a Celeron 667 doing duty as a text-only server and another is my desktop, a 64-bit dual AMD. Both the -default and -pae kernels can lock up in the case of the 32-bit system.

Symptoms of the lock up: No response on the console, no services can be reached, but only ping works. Only a hard reset clears the problem. No oops messages. On reboot, there are no crash messages in the log. One moment working, next moment frozen.

I have to mention that there seems to be also a small chance of a spontaneous abort during an install. From good and checked media.

It's serious enough that I'm considering going back to 11.0 and also choosing 11.0 for a server upgrade in a couple of weeks' time.

ReindeerSkinner NNTP User

Default Re: 11.1 systems locking up?

Confirm you already killed the dog (beagle)...??
    Have you installed atop? Find anything in those logs? (You may have
    to adjust the snapshot timing.)

Blog Entries

No, no dog running, I shot the mutt long ago.

I think in the case of the Celeron it may be cranky hardware. It's an old computer and isn't a terribly good one, it has one of those dreaded SiS IDE controllers. A different release may have pushed it over the edge in terms of stability. I'm putting in a different computer tomorrow.

In the case of the dual core Athlon I'm investigating two possibilities, the BIOS settings, or plasma. I found out that the BIOS had K8 Cool turned on, this apparently throttles the clock when the CPU is lightly loaded. Since I'm using powermanager, I don't think I need interference from the BIOS. As for plasma, I'll just have to watch it and see if it happens when I'm not working at the GUI. I will also install KDE3.5 and try that.

Blog Entries

ken_yap, to much wifes dismay, I leave my PCs powered all the time. Typically shut down once or twice a week (for a few hours) on the day the maid comes.

I have two desktop PCs running 11.1, around the clock, and I have had no lockup problems. Both are running KDE-3.5.10 and both have very basic well supported nvidia graphics using the openGL driver (an FX5200 on one and a MX400/440 on the other).

In the half dozen times I have shut them down, I have observed one of them failed to shut down twice (it hung just where the power would normally go off, on those two occasions). That did not happen in 10.x nor 11.0. I have not investigated yet.

That's odd.
    What is the hardware (motherboard/videocard), for example, in th'a 64-bit dual AMD?
    Last time i've issues in amd64 was because of a wireless pci-card, giving me random freezes. And have 2 system's using amd64 and Cool'n'Quiet with no issue at all.
    AMD64 Powered by

Blog Entries

It's a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4. It's hasn't been used before, I was waiting for 11.1 to move to it. Every workhorse I have had runs all the time because I have it doing things like recording radio programs. I also connect back to home base from work. The previous workhorse still works fine but the disks are starting to get hot which means the bearings are wearing out and they are also consuming more power.

No wifi on this desktop.

The reason I think it's plasma is that a couple of times it seemed to happen when I closed a session. But it wasn't the session on the console I was closing, it was the session on the thin-client, so that means it's not the Radeon driver.

I think I'll just have to keep it under observation it for a while to look for a pattern. It only happens perhaps once a day or two. I should also check if there are any BIOS updates.

New amd/ati 790x chipset... could be the cause of trouble (great board btw)
    Newer systems are always a problem, infortunaly, but since OpenSUSE uses 2.6.27 it should help. Can you try another kernel, for example ?
    (and newer bios)
    AMD64 Powered by

Blog Entries

I'll observe it for a while.

litemaster NNTP User

Unhappy Re: 11.1 systems locking up?

I have the same problem with my server since I installed 11.1_x64.

The issue is as ken_yap describes: No errors, no logs, no nothing. Beagle is not installed.

• When the lockup happens I can type on the login consoles (tty1 etc) but after the username<enter> it jumps to a new line, echoing whatever I type.
    • During the last lockup I had a vncserver running to which I could connect and switch desktops, scrolling in Firefox also was possible. However clicking on the taskbar or pressing ALT-F2 did nothing. Same with entering commands on the open terminals.
    • Also Samba seems to gradually disconnect clients. First the media player could not play the file it was playing before, but browsing the share from my PC was possible until a few minutes later. Then a forced power off is the only thing that works.

I'll keep VNC (Gnome) off for now to see if the GUI has something to do with it (the machine only runs in runlevel 3).

Specs:
    • Athlon 64 X2 3600+ (1.9 GHz)
    • Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 (nForce 6100 Chipset)
    • 6 GB of PC-3200 DDR2 RAM
    • 2x 320GB WD3200SB (Western Digital Caviar RE2, attached to mainboard IDE)
    • 3x 500GB WD5000YS (Western Digital Caviar RE2, attached to mainboard SATA)
    • 3x 1000GB WD1002FBYS (Western Digital Caviar RE3, attached to Promise SATA 300 TX4)

It's been running on openSUSE 10.2_x64 for 1.5 years without any problems. If it locks up once more, I'm switching to 11.0.

It's no fun when the machine is busy resyncing the RAIDs most of the time it runs.

I can confirm random freezings on my machine. No troubles at all on the same machine using 11.0 and parallel XP and Vista. It's not a hardlock at all. It's more like running at 100% CPU load and nothing is reacting anymore. waiting a minute or so I'm able to klick at something again but I have to hard reset the machine to get it back. I'm using KDE 4.1 on a C2D 8400 Wolfdale, 4GB Ram on a Gigabyte board and a GeForce 8800GT.
    For now I installed the 180.17 nvidia drivers to see if there is something wrong with the drivers.

cu
    Gargi

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast