How to enable subpixelhinting for Firefox in openSUSE 11.1

Hi.
Does anybody know, how to enable subpixelhinting for Firefox and probably for Thunderbird also?
It works for all system by default, but it doesn’t work in Firefox.
Thanks.

change Firefox fonts - Google Search

edit PS: there are 2 “Advanced” tabs (which are default) that make Firefox show what the original web site has up. You may have to turn those off;)

What DE do you use? Because i was unable in my GNOME to enable subpixel hinting. No working howto or packages are available and hinting is working only in terminal…

cairo needs a patch to enable full subpixel hinting.
See freedesktop bug #10301.

Have a look at this, people: SubpixelHinting - openSUSE-Community

I use KDE.

This is how-to for 10.3 and 11.0, not for 11.1.I need subpixel for 11.1.

It most likely is still apply-able to 11.1 besides the one click installers, the alternative Zypper commandline that’s also explained still works though.
Or you can get a one click installer off webpin

That’s a nice try, but as i have said before, it is not working in GNOME and it was also not working in version 11.0 no matter which repository you will use.

Fonts are hinted only in terminal and rest is without a change.
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/9569/obrazovkafq4.png

Probably, you don’t understand what i want.
I want to enable subpixelhinting for Firefox in openSUSE 11.1. I don’t need to install freetype2, because it’s installed by default and subpixehinting works for me in KDE.
Have a look on the snapshot.
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/5120/zachytenobsah1xs0.png

Ani mne sa to nedari rozbehnut pre Gnome.

mmm…i know what you mean… my answer was meant more for Axeia than for you :slight_smile:
anyway, i dunno how to fix it in firefox, but those KDE fonts looks sure better than mine in GNOME :confused:

I’ve just find solution.:wink:
It’s needed to update cairo package from repo:
Index of /repositories/home:/Fisiu/openSUSE_11.1
Firefox and Gnome have enabled subpixel.rotfl!

Can you confirm, whether it works for you also?

I was about to write the same, ra100 lol!

See my screenshot: http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8532/hintingja2.png

mmm…mmm…finally! :slight_smile:

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/2797/wowtl3.png

I have a clean install (not an upgrade) of 11.1 x86_64, KDE 3.5. Using native LCD resolution at 1600x1200. With original cairo (1.8.0-5.1-x86_64)(64&32), was able to get a sharp desktop by adjusting font sizes, selecting “full” in KDE fonts, but not enabling sub-pixel hinting. At this stage FF3 CONTENT is nice size and fairly sharp, but the menu, URL entry/display area, dialogue boxes, etc., were very small, although perfectly formed. Yast is exactly the opposite: menu is correctly sized, content is small (like firefox3 menu)

I added the above (Fisiu) repository, selected cairo (64&32) update in Yast, and then rebooted. I confirm the Fisiu repository version is installed: 1.8.0-19.1-x86_64.

Neither Firefox 3 nor Yast changed one bit. GTK fonts are set to “use my kde fonts”, I’ve enabled and disabled sub-pixel hinting (with reboots), nothing changes the unfavourable FF3 and Yast display situation.

Surely there is a fix for this long outstanding problem!

Another thing. IIR, there was a thread somewhere that indicated a replacement for Mozilla-xulrunner was needed to thoroughly effect the sub-pixel functionality with FF3. Can’t find it now. But I’ll try Googling and see what comes up.

Moreover, at this time FF3 is a slug compared to Firefox 2 on 10.3 and 11.0. FF2 on those versions is also lazer-sharp, with no strange display behaviour from Yast, either. So I don’t know if I’ll ever move to 11.1 if all this doesn’t get sorted out. From what I hear, Mozilla has pretty well ignored Linux. Maybe Opera, or another distribution will be my next move. Because I won’t ruin my eyes because OpenSuse and Mozilla can’t get this straightened out.

For your YaST problem see this: font size in Yast - openSUSE Forums

Hi.

Take a look to this post: (read it all)
Firefox 3.0.1: Enable Using Subpixel Hunting! - openSUSE Forums
Good luck

Luis

EDIT. Works perfectly on OS 11.1 GNOME and KDE4… See Post Nr. 30 for the repo.

@ sorenson2743,

Follow the link given by LuisC-SM above.