Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to safely remove USB memory stick

Default How to safely remove USB memory stick

Is the correct method to right-click the device in Dolphin and select the option to safely remove it? That seems to work.

Or is there another way?

Default Re: How to safely remove USB memory stick

I usually remove my memory stick by clicking on the "V" arrow, which comes under the removable drive popup located besides the Kmenu.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav_Prabhu View Post
    I usually remove my memory stick by clicking on the "V" arrow, which comes under the removable drive popup located besides the Kmenu.
    I just can't figure out where you mean. The only thing that happens when I insert it is that the Device Notifier tells me.

No V arrow I can see. Which corner of the screen?

Perhaps you refer to a gadget I need to install?

* rgbeal,

what Gaurav said. IMHO this is only interesting when the device is in write access: It will not unmount before the files have been written.

Else just unplug the silly thing. I've done this for years now with both Linux and Windows; if there's no file write, nothing will happen, no matter if it is a hard disk or a USB stick.

Uwe

OK but I'd still like to understand the meaning of this: "by clicking on the "V" arrow, which comes under the removable drive popup located besides the Kmenu".

I assume the KMenu is the green button at bottom left. I have nothing that looks like a removable drive popup. The nearest is the Device Notifier which is two gadgets to the right of it and doesn't have a V.

Blog Entries

He means left click on the Device Notifier icon which looks like a terminal. It will popup and show a list of Recently Plugged Devices. On my screen it's next to the clock.

Ah thank you. And by V arrow he meant an upward pointing arrow next to the name of the device. I understand now. Thanks.

* rgbeal,

it's the "Device Notifier" plasmoid you can add to a panel or the desktop. It is available by default, but you may have deleted it. Just add it back and you'll see it notify you about plugged in devices, including the little "Eject" icon.

Uwe

Yup, I meant the device notifier plasmoid.
    And I meant click on the Downward arrow 'V' inside the plasmoid, which is by default on the right side of the L menu.

Using the command line is possible: "halmount -u /dev/foo".

Installed from the ivman package.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast