Thread: How I Fixed Ugly Fonts in KDE 3.5

Default How I Fixed Ugly Fonts in KDE 3.5

I recently installed 11.1, choosing KDE 3.5 as my desktop.

I was immediately struck by how awful the fonts looked, very jagged and rough, like I remember fonts looking in ancient versions of Linux I installed in the late 90's.

I was sure that once I installed the Nvidia display driver, things would improve, but this did not seem to help at all.

I went into YAST to make sure all the font packages were installed, and I saw nothing obvious missing. So I shrugged it off and resigned myself to looking at ugly fonts for the next six months until 11.2 is released.

Yesterday, I installed the Gnome and KDE 4 desktop packages, and after I did this, logged out then logged back in, my fonts looked A LOT better.

Apparently if you only install KDE 3.5, some program gets left out causing very ugly fonts. It might be the Adobe ICC profiles, but I'm not positive.

So if you are experiencing this problem, just install the KDE 4 and Gnome desktops, and things should look much better.

Default Re: How I Fixed Ugly Fonts in KDE 3.5

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Default Re: How I Fixed Ugly Fonts in KDE 3.5

I set mine to Liberation sans exclusively except mono

set anti-aliasing enabled
    96DPI

configue sub pixel enabled - RGB - FULL - But No exclude range

But you have to fiddle a bit depending on your Box/Lap
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below