Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: virtualbox on 11.1 - no luck

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    33

    Default virtualbox on 11.1 - no luck

    I have spent the last hour or so trying to get virtualbox working. I also had a go at getting the virtualisation software that is embedded in YAST working, but had no idea what was going on with that one.

    Anyway, virtualbox - had a look at this post Virtualbox doesn't work at all - openSUSE Forums

    None of the suggestions worked. I just get the bouncing cursor, then nada.
    N.B. nothing happens if I enter virtualbox at the bash shell.

    Does anyone know how to get it working on 11.1?

    Cheers
    BOX: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz | NVidia GeForce 9600 GT | Gigibyte GA-EP45-DSR3 | RAM 4Gb DDR 2 | OS 11.1 | KDE 4.1.3

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    relative
    Posts
    1,172

    Default Re: virtualbox on 11.1 - no luck

    Quote Originally Posted by onefootswill View Post
    I have spent the last hour or so trying to get virtualbox working. I also had a go at getting the virtualisation software that is embedded in YAST working, but had no idea what was going on with that one.

    Anyway, virtualbox - had a look at this post Virtualbox doesn't work at all - openSUSE Forums

    None of the suggestions worked. I just get the bouncing cursor, then nada.
    N.B. nothing happens if I enter virtualbox at the bash shell.

    Does anyone know how to get it working on 11.1?

    Cheers
    Yes, for me works without any problem.

    If you type virtualbox OFC nothing happens, the executable is called VirtualBox BTW do not try to start it, it think you have no permissions.
    So, go to YaST -> Security and User -> User and Group Management. In the users tab select your user, and hit the Edit key. In the next window switch do Details tab and in the Additional Groups check the vboxusers.
    Reboot.
    Good luck.
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: virtualbox on 11.1 - no luck

    Thanks for that. I followed those instructions. Now, VirtualBox is at least responding. I am getting the following error:



    Not sure what that means.
    BOX: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz | NVidia GeForce 9600 GT | Gigibyte GA-EP45-DSR3 | RAM 4Gb DDR 2 | OS 11.1 | KDE 4.1.3

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    relative
    Posts
    1,172

    Default Re: virtualbox on 11.1 - no luck

    Quote Originally Posted by onefootswill View Post
    Thanks for that. I followed those instructions. Now, VirtualBox is at least responding. I am getting the following error:



    Not sure what that means.
    Are you installed VirtualBox from this repository:
    Index of /repositories/Virtualization:/VirtualBox?
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: virtualbox on 11.1 - no luck

    Yes. I used the following url for my repository - Index of /repositories/Virtualization:/VirtualBox/openSUSE_11.1
    BOX: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz | NVidia GeForce 9600 GT | Gigibyte GA-EP45-DSR3 | RAM 4Gb DDR 2 | OS 11.1 | KDE 4.1.3

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    relative
    Posts
    1,172

    Default Re: virtualbox on 11.1 - no luck

    Quote Originally Posted by onefootswill View Post
    Yes. I used the following url for my repository - Index of /repositories/Virtualization:/VirtualBox/openSUSE_11.1
    Okay, then check the listed dependencies:
    VirtualBox Installation - openSUSE and ensure that in YaST -> System -> System Services
    the vboxdrv abd vboxnet modules are enabled - highlight them and hit Enable. Reboot.
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: virtualbox on 11.1 - no luck

    Yes. Those services are all running.
    The Xml transformation apps are installed.

    I still get the same error.
    BOX: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz | NVidia GeForce 9600 GT | Gigibyte GA-EP45-DSR3 | RAM 4Gb DDR 2 | OS 11.1 | KDE 4.1.3

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    relative
    Posts
    1,172

    Default Re: virtualbox on 11.1 - no luck

    Quote Originally Posted by onefootswill View Post
    Yes. Those services are all running.
    The Xml transformation apps are installed.

    I still get the same error.
    Ok, then it should be work, but...
    Google for this: Failed to create virtualbox com object.
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: virtualbox on 11.1 - no luck

    Thanks for trying ram88.

    I have re-installed VirtualBox to no avail.

    Don't understand why it won't work. Baffled.
    BOX: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz | NVidia GeForce 9600 GT | Gigibyte GA-EP45-DSR3 | RAM 4Gb DDR 2 | OS 11.1 | KDE 4.1.3

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    relative
    Posts
    1,172

    Default Re: virtualbox on 11.1 - no luck

    Quote Originally Posted by onefootswill View Post
    Thanks for trying ram88.

    I have re-installed VirtualBox to no avail.

    Don't understand why it won't work. Baffled.
    What says
    Code:
    su
    /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    ?
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •