Virtualbox doesn't work at all

I tried to install Virtualbox from the openSUSE DVD. The installation seams to be ok, but if I try to start Virtualbox I get an animated cursor for some time and then nothing happens. For me it seams the version on SUSE 11.1 doesn’t work at all with the distribution.

pueffl wrote:

>
> I tried to install Virtualbox from the openSUSE DVD. The installation
> seams to be ok, but if I try to start Virtualbox I get an animated
> cursor for some time and then nothing happens. For me it seams the
> version on SUSE 11.1 doesn’t work at all with the distribution.
>
>
if you run it in konsole what error messages are given?

Suse 11.0 x64, Kde 4.2beta (unstable repo), Opera 9.x weekly

I don’t think Virtualbox is included in SUSE 11.1 DVD. I tried searching virtualbox in YaST2 and it doesn’t give any results. So, I’m not quite sure where you are trying to install it from.

Anyway, if it is in fact present on the DVD and you are having trouble using it, try removing the current installation (using YaST2 or rpm -e) and install Virtualbox 2.1.0 for OpenSuse 11.1 or VirtualBox 2.1.0 for All distributions.

Open terminal as root & install the RPM (if you select the RPM route) using rpm command or run the .run file (if you select the all distribution route).

I had similar difficulties when I tried to use VirtualBox on my OpenSuse 11.1 RC1 installation. At that time there was no official VirtualBox release for OpenSuse 11.1. So, I installed it using the .run file and VirtualBox has been working fine since then.

I’m not sure how to solve your problem but I am currently using virtualbox, so it’s possible to get it running. all I did was install it and add myself to the virtualbox group and then do that extra command to start it up I forget now what it was.

Add the account you’re running it from to the vboxusers group if you haven’t already.

Use this repo in your list
Index of /repositories/Virtualization:/VirtualBox/openSUSE_11.1

use software management - filter by repo
go to the new Virtual Box repo
check to install

help here
http://en.opensuse.org/VirtualBox_Installation