Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange issues SUSE 11.1 Gnome

Default Strange issues SUSE 11.1 Gnome

Hello,

I'm having several problems, I've installed 11.1 and updated to the latest packages.

The problems I'm having are (which don't have a separate thread):
    - I can't mount nor unmount any external drives (DBus error, /etc/mtab lock timed out)
    - Rebooting takes quite a while (loading bar goes until the end but then freezes for a while, hard drive shows no sign of activity)
    - Network manager doesn't start up at boot, I have to execute "rcnetwork restart" and then it takes quite a while to connect. Driver issue? Dwl-g122 rev C
    - My home directory won't show up, it keeps loading forever while it only contains the default folders :-S

If there is any info you can give me I'd greatly appreciate it!

Default Re: Strange issues SUSE 11.1 Gnome

I have the EXACT same problems.
    How did you upgrade? Because I did a distro upgrade by just renewing repos and upgrading packages (zypper dup).

For the networkmanager problem, I switched to the "traditional method" in the network settings. This way, network does start right at startup.

Disabling the jexec service in Yast -> runlevel services, fixed the mount problems and the home folder problem for me.

Can't really add a fix as I'm not having these issues... I did a fresh install with GNOME using the DVD (keeping /home but renamed the 11.0 user directories to <users>.110 first.).

The only real issues I've had so far:
    -2 times X has frozen on me (once with the GM, once with RC1)- I could do a normal shutdown and reboot - suspecting compiz or the Intel video driver.
    -After suspend the power management does not always resume correctly.
    -tsclient shows no interface when run from the menu (there should be a fix for this soon through an update)

Other than that it's been running very smoothly.

I have disabled beagle -as I don't use it and disable it to save some resources- but that does not seem related to your issues.

Have you tried renaming the home directory, recreating the user (creating a new home folder for the user)? Maybe there is something going on there.

When rebooting.. can you see where the delay occurs? Is it when loading a driver or specific service?

-Wj
    Have a lot of fun!

I guess I'll temporarily disable jexec to fix the mount problems.

Well, strangely my home directory loaded without any problem in the beginning, moreover after a fresh installation using the Live CD, but right after I performed a full update the problems began to occur.

I have no idea what is causing the reboot delay and know even less on how to check it.

I don't really like to hack around my system so I'm wanting to download and install 11.0 again as OS issues were at a minimum there except for my wireless issue.

Thank you

big_red NNTP User

You guys are having it easy, i'm having boot problems on 11.1 x86_64 - my root (raid1) filesystem only mounts on random boots. most of the time i get a message saying "invalid file system" for my root partition. although i have found today that adding "root=/dev/md1" increases the chances of it booting (doesn't always work though).

That, and the usual compiz issue (i remember this with 11.0) - i'm downgrading compiz to what was shipped on the distro dvd at the moment, so i'll find out in a moment if it makes anything better.

big_red NNTP User

no, didn't work - i'll have to wait for the compiz / emerald builds to come into line and just use metacity's compositing feature.

Jreed11665 NNTP User

Default Re: Strange issues SUSE 11.1 Gnome -JAVA binfmt_misc

The reason that disabling jexec clears the hangs at startup is that SUSE 11.1 tries to register the JAVA binfmt_misc tools to /proc twice, once through a modprobe call and at the same time through a jexec script. Unfortunately, the two calls hang each other up such that the mount service itself becomes hung up (through multiple mtab~ lock files). Subsequent mount calls while starting nfs service etc. then fail. I removed the mobprobe call to mount for binfmt_mish in the modprobe.conf file to clear the problem temporarily.

Will Honea NNTP User

Jreed11665 wrote:

>
    > The reason that disabling jexec clears the hangs at startup is that SUSE
    > 11.1 tries to register the JAVA binfmt_misc tools to /proc twice, once
    > through a modprobe call and at the same time through a jexec script.
    > Unfortunately, the two calls hang each other up such that the mount
    > service itself becomes hung up (through multiple mtab~ lock files).
    > Subsequent mount calls while starting nfs service etc. then fail. I
    > removed the mobprobe call to mount for binfmt_mish in the modprobe.conf
    > file to clear the problem temporarily.

I got this using KDE3 on the wife's laptop. Edited out all the references
    to jexec in the rc scripts and such and that worked as well. Haven't seen
    anything misbehaving since I wiped it off the face of the system so I'll
    stay with that for now. Anything specifically mucked up by removing the
    jexec stuff that I haven't found yet?

--
    Will Honea

Hi,

My networkmanager applet disappeared from the panel, it sucks not having it!...but I don't know why in the world it is no longer there. I like seeing the signal strenght bars when connected. (how do I get it back?)

After changing to no splash at boot, my computer never loaded the desktop next time I started it.

By the way, I still don't know why, if you have the custom menu (GNOME), some items are duplicated. Anyone has noticed that too?

Regards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast