Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Annoying S11.1 Gnome2.24 bug: Desktop Folder Crash

Unhappy Annoying S11.1 Gnome2.24 bug: Desktop Folder Crash

Hi everyone,

A few days ago I've installed openSUSE 11.1. I'm using Gnome 2.24 as desktop environment. I must say that I'm very satisfied with this newest release of my favorite distribution.

There's only one thing bothering me:
    Every time I boot, eject or insert a DVD, CD, USB-memorystick or whatever removable medium Bug Buddy pops up and tells me the "Open Folder Application has crashed.
    Then all my desktop icons disappear and come back again after a few seconds.

The bug report tells me this:
    Distribution: openSUSE 11.1 (i586)
    Gnome Release: 2.24.1 2008-12-03 (SUSE)
    BugBuddy Version: 2.24.1

System: Linux 2.6.27.7-9-pae #1 SMP 2008-12-04 18:10:04 +0100 i686
    X Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
    X Vendor Release: 10502000
    Selinux: No
    Accessibility: Disabled
    GTK+ Theme: Gilouche
    Icon Theme: Gilouche

Memory status: size: 0 vsize: 0 resident: 0 share: 0 rss: 0 rss_rlim: 0
    CPU usage: start_time: 0 rtime: 0 utime: 0 stime: 0 cutime:0 cstime: 0 timeout: 0 it_real_value: 0 frequency: 0

----------- .xsession-errors (7 sec old) ---------------------
    This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
    under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.
    Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension
    Initializing nautilus-dice extension
    Initializing nautilus-share extension
    (nautilus:3835): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'NautilusBurn'.
    (nautilus:3835): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed
    (nautilus:3835): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed
    ** (nautilus:3835): WARNING **: Unable to add monitor: Not supported
    --------------------------------------------------
    I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but right after I booted openSUSE for the first time I logged in as root and deleted the openSUSE and Help icons from my desktop.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this annoying bug? I sure hope so because I can't find any other solution or bug report anywhere else.

Thanks in advance!

Happy holidays!
    Roel from the Netherlands

Default Re: Annoying S11.1 Gnome2.24 bug: Desktop Folder Crash

After a few days trying I haven't been able to find the cause of this bug. It's still not leaving me alone.

I sure hope anyone can help me!

Thanks, Roel

I'd just love to chime in and say a happy "me too". However; I get my error on a clean install from DVD. I haven't gotten around to deleting those 2 icons yet (which must be done as root; thank yous for more useless "features" go to the devel team).

Distribution: openSUSE 11.1 (i586)
    Gnome Release: 2.24.1 2008-12-03 (SUSE)
    BugBuddy Version: 2.24.1

System: Linux 2.6.27.7-9-pae #1 SMP 2008-12-04 18:10:04 +0100 i686
    X Vendor Release: 10502000
    Selinux: No
    GTK+ Theme: Gilouche
    Icon Theme: Gilouche

CPU usage: start_time: 0 rtime: 0 utime: 0 stime: 0 cutime:0 cstime: 0 timeout: 0 it_real_value: 0 frequency: 0

----------- .xsession-errors (90 sec old) ---------------------
    Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.
    Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x4400003 (Configured)
    Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.
    Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x4400003 (Initializi)
    Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x4400003 (Loading th)
    Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x4400003 (Initializi)
    Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x4400003 (Configured)
    Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x4400003 (Starting t)
    Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x4400003 (Software M)

Same here.

The last the that gets dumped to .xsession-errors is:

Code:
    *** glibc detected *** nautilus: free(): invalid pointer: 0x00007fff71f38328 ***
    The funny thing is it worked initially (I think).

kapisan NNTP User

Got the same problem when installing a opensuse 11.1 with gnome.
    very annoying, for me i found a workaround:
    I did a new install with both the "automatic configuration" and the "fast install" option turned off.
    Good luck

hi everyone!

I'm sorry for the late reply, but I was skiing in Germany for the last week.

I've tried some things to fix this bug.
    The last thing I tried was creating a new user. This initially fixed the bug, until I changed the link "roel's Home" to "Roel's Home" - the bug popped up again. After changing Roel back to roel it disappeared again.

Did anyone of you change this link too?

Greetings, Roel

OK, it has nothing to do with changing the name of the folder.

But, what is it

Is this bug officially acknowledged? Is it fixed in an update? I find it so strange that while this bug is extremely annoying, neither has anything been said about it in the "most annoying bugs section" at the opensuse website, nor has it been acknowledged as an official bug (or my sources must be mistaken).

Does anyone have more information?

Thanks, Roel

Hi, I just installed Fedora 10 and have the same problem. So I felt like sharing my crash details.

---
    Distribution: Fedora release 10 (Cambridge)
    Gnome Release: 2.24.2 2008-11-25 (Red Hat, Inc)
    BugBuddy Version: 2.24.2

System: Linux 2.6.27.9-159.fc10.i686 #1 SMP Tue Dec 16 15:12:04 EST 2008 i686
    X Vendor Release: 10503000
    Selinux: Enforcing
    GTK+ Theme: Nodoka
    Icon Theme: Fedora

-------- .xsession-errors (38 sec old) ------------
    totem-video-thumbnailer couldn't open file 'file:///media/New%20Volume/tc.mpeg'
    Reason: This file is encrypted and cannot be played back..
    Initializing nautilus-image-converter extension
    Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension
    Initializing nautilus-search-tool extension
    Initializing nautilus-share extension
    Initializing nautilus-sound-converter extension
    (nautilus:4885): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'NautilusBurn'.
    (nautilus:4885): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed
    (nautilus:4885): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed
    ** (nautilus:4885): WARNING **: Unable to add monitor: Not supported

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by roelfrancois View Post
    Is this bug officially acknowledged? Is it fixed in an update? I find it so strange that while this bug is extremely annoying, neither has anything been said about it in the "most annoying bugs section" at the opensuse website, nor has it been acknowledged as an official bug (or my sources must be mistaken).
    I had a colleague tell me about this, but I don't know if there is already a bug report. This is unique to Gnome, .... why not raise a bug report your self ?
    Submitting Bug Reports - openSUSE

Quote Originally Posted by falcon119 View Post
    ...I haven't gotten around to deleting those 2 icons yet (which must be done as root; thank yous for more useless "features" go to the devel team).
    That's not entirely true. I got rid of those 2 annoying icons without root access. In fact, if you use the Gnome configuration editor (gconf-editor... the icon that looks like a little car) then you can find the entry there. I can't remember what I searched for but it was something like "desktop" or "icon" and was able to find it. It lists a directory where icons/programs can be placed by the administrator in order to be "mandatory" on every desktop. I deleted the path is gconf-editor and the icons disappeared.

(Sorry I can't be of more help. I actually deleted Suse and installed Mandriva over it. OpenSuse 11.1 was giving me way too many troubles to be worth keeping)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast