Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: successful install of Adobe Air

Default successful install of Adobe Air

following the Ubuntu guide on how to install Adobe Air

Linux on Desktop: Installing Adobe Air and some AIR applications on Ubuntu 8.10

I issued the two advised commands (as substitute user or root)

chmod +x AdobeAIRInstaller.bin
    and then

./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin
    and the install seemed to proceed uneventfully

Default Re: successful install of Adobe Air

Wish it did for me. On my 11.0 system, when I try the above, I get:

Code:
    # ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin
    Error loading the runtime (libadobecertstore.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
    Any ideas where the heck my "libadobecrtstore.so" went missing?

would you be running a 64bit OpenSuse?

check this out

Install Adobe AIR Linux 1.5 on 64-bit Linux distributions

they say

To install AIR 1.5 on 64-bit OpenSUSE 11, you must manually install the 32-bit files by following these directions:
    and the instructions are detailed after the above ..........

I think the linux community needs to praise Adobe for these excellent instructions on the above link; a great piece of work by Adobe

It'd be a better piece of work if they just provided the RPM. Or, even better, made an opensuse repository.

But irregardless, I saw that page and it doesn't help for my 32 bit opensuse. It isn't complaining about libxml, but something called 'libadobecertstore.so' and I can't figure out where it is supposed to come from.

we use Gnome;
    and if go to: Computer: More Applications; System: Search for Files (Gnome Tool); and search throughout the File System

and enter libadobecertstore.so

.......... it says that it is in /usr/lib

How goes this on your computer? (If you use KDE, you will know of the equivalent

I note that in the Ubuntu guide; for a 64bit Ubuntu

step 14 is:

#
    Adobe AIR is now installed on your system.
    # Just one more step before you start installing and using AIR apps. Enter the following command:

sudo cp /usr/lib/libadobecertstore.so /usr/lib32
    however my 32bit Suse only has /usr/lib

pete2 NNTP User

pdc_2,
    Sounds fine for Ubuntu but not so good for Suse.
    I tried to follow the route for 32 bit lib files for my 64 bit installation but failed to find the files in the repositories.
    I managed to set this up om my Mac yesterday to use with BBCi and all went smoothly, well not bad for a BBC system. I'll try looking for the files again unless you can point me to a repository you know has them?

Cheers,

Pete2

hi pete2; welcome to the OpenSuse forums;

1) what I was trying to do in the last post was to ask hieronymous to see if the file libadobecertstore.so was installed anywhere on their system;

I was just commenting that Ubuntu 64 has a /usr/lib32; if you open a terminal; and type

cd /usr
    and then type

ls
    do you find amidst the many things listed

lib
    and
    lib32
    ??

(typing these commands as a user is fine: you cannot change such files, and that is a safety feature of linux; if my comments are wrong, forum members can correct me)

2) when you said

but failed to find the files in the repositories.
    I didn't understand: to me, repositories are stores of files accessed over the internet: so the repository for AdobeAir was their website;

can you clarify what you meant please;

maybe other forum members using 64bit Suse can comment on what they have done with library problems:

it usually involves creating a symbolic link between 32bit and 64 bit libraries;

(We have stuck to 32bit Suse as it avoids such problems .. and folks say 64bit ain' quicker ..... 64bit just sounds more impressive)

as in

YouTube - Bird and Fortune - Subprime Crisis

pete2 NNTP User

pdc_2,
    You are correct with your repository definition, I was looking in the suse repository that was set up in Yast. Turned out I needed to look in another one to find the files which I eventually did. Having downloaded them I thought they had installed OK but AdobeAIRInstaller.bin wouldn't run and I couldn't find the 32 bit files so I'm trying it all again today. One thing that puzzles me a little is the Adobe bin file, I thought I should be able to run this in a terminal without the 32 bit files but I just get permission denied errors even when using root permission!
    Any ideas?

bo9lo7 NNTP User

Code:
    sudo cp /usr/lib/libadobecertstore.so /usr/lib32
    that trick solved the problem
    thanks dude

- Saleh

Unfortunately with my configuration (openSuSE 11.2, KDE, 64-bit) AIR is just refusing to install.
    It gets to the terms window, I click "Accept" and then get this strange message:
    "An error occurred while installing Adobe AIR. Installation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator."

I am running the installation as root and root owns the .bin file. Also, I have all the 32-bit prerequisites installed. There is no output on the console.

Any clues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast