Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulseaudio

Unhappy Pulseaudio

I don't know whether to post this in hardware as a warning to others, or here as a message of frustration.

My husband was listening to music as ever using headphones with Amarok. With the new pulseaudio thing, the moment he clicked on the mixer settings, the volume shot up from low to maximum.

I believe it takes less than a second to rip headphones off your ears, but even in that time the damage sudden and massive increases in volume changes can have are serious, and far from transient. Since 11.1, this has happened twice. Coupled with the skipping and clicking sound, it was enough for him to take the clean installation of 11.1 off our main pc and go back to Windows in frustration.

Things like this should quite simply not happen. Between having a desktop that is functional and helps us do our work, and one that doesn't blow your eardrums, there really isn't anything to think about.

Hopefully we'll come back to SUSE soon, but for now, we're back to Vista. It saddens me, but having ones hearing remain intact comes first.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pulseaudio

Quote Originally Posted by MaarteOS View Post
    I don't know whether to post this in hardware as a warning to others, or here as a message of frustration.

My husband was listening to music as ever using headphones with Amarok. With the new pulseaudio thing, the moment he clicked on the mixer settings, the volume shot up from low to maximum.

I believe it takes less than a second to rip headphones off your ears, but even in that time the damage sudden and massive increases in volume changes can have are serious, and far from transient. Since 11.1, this has happened twice. Coupled with the skipping and clicking sound, it was enough for him to take the clean installation of 11.1 off our main pc and go back to Windows in frustration.

Things like this should quite simply not happen. Between having a desktop that is functional and helps us do our work, and one that doesn't blow your eardrums, there really isn't anything to think about.

Hopefully we'll come back to SUSE soon, but for now, we're back to Vista. It saddens me, but having ones hearing remain intact comes first.
    I don't have this problem on the 5 PC's in our house that run openSUSE, but I can understand your discontent with such a behaviour.

You could also write a bug report on alsa and openSUSE, such that there is a better chance that the functionality you want will be worked on for software/drivers that support your PC's audio hardware, and possibly solved, if or when you come back. If you do write a bug report, please include as much detail as you can as to your hardware configuration, and your OS configuration. Submitting Bug Reports - openSUSE

Note this is a forum consisting mostly of unpaid volunteers/enthusiasts who are trying to provide support. We do not write the software. If you wish to reach the developers, you need to write a bug report.

Remove PulseAudio and such then the problem is sorted. About 20 mins configuration to make everything work with plain ALSA again.

At the moment some developers just aren't "getting" the fact end-users don't need this kind of unstable **** on their desktops. PA does the same thing for me on GNOME, though there are some more fundamental issues with it like not being able to play from more than one source (even ALSA does better?) and PA volume control app (pavucontrol) causing all audio to stutter >.>

It's something I'll definitely bear in mind and thankyou for the feedback. There are some bugs I am more than happy to live with in exchange for the superb customisation openSUSE allows. But the ones I simply refuse to allow are ones that leave your better half in physical pain from having his ears blown.

Pulseaudio, - while the theory behind it I'm sure is very nice, does nothing for end-users who assume it's been added because it is stable and resilient. Pushing a desktop environment to the forefront before it is truly ready in order to allow for greater use / greater bug reporting is one thing, but pushing an audio-framework that is clearly anything but ready is an entirely different thing altogether. One is understandable, the other is quite frankly ridiculous.

When we install SUSE again, Pulseaudio will be the first thing to go.

> My husband was listening to music as ever using headphones with Amarok.
    > With the new pulseaudio thing, the moment he clicked on the mixer
    > settings, the volume shot up from low to maximum.

FWIW, This has happened to me in the past as well.
    There definitely should be some sanity checks on the audio systems.
    Eventually there's going to be a lawsuit if it continues to occur,
    don't know who is going to be sued, but it will happen.

I've raised the issue as one Novell should perhaps consider, for myself and my partner atleast, the problem is now moot, we reinstalled again. PulseAudio was removed and replaced with alsa, Beagle was sent to the dog pound, and KDE 4.2 beta2 installed after adding the ATI drivers.

Everything works very, very well. KDE 4.2 is astounding. (And for Swerdna who keeps calling me a dude, - yes we both post on our forum account that we share, and we are not both "dudes" )

For those who have had audio issues (some quite frankly dangerous to your hearing), I'd strongly recommend getting rid of PulseAudio, - when their official website says, and I quote;

"The PulseAudio daemon and utilities are still under heavy development. Although they are generally considered stable, they haven't seen enough testing to warrant a first completely stable release. "

I find it hard to understand why it's included here, given the condition that's it's in and the problems it causes.

This sounded like an inordinate amount of trouble to go to. I also had problems with Amarok and Pulse Audio, the sound output would stutter on start up. Solution?

Amarok > Settings > Configure Amarok > Engine > "Output plugin" > alsa

Certainly beats re-installing and reconfiguring.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

This only works in amarok < v2
    Option is not available in v2

/Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnuslodge View Post
    This sounded like an inordinate amount of trouble to go to. I also had problems with Amarok and Pulse Audio, the sound output would stutter on start up. Solution?

Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz, 8GB DDR2, 3.5TB, GeForce 9600 GT, Amilo LCD 26", OS 11.1 x86_64, KDE4.2.4 (2)
    My wine tips & tricks

Quote Originally Posted by cygnuslodge View Post

I think perhaps you didn't read the original post. Volume would go from minimal to maximum randomly, - and definitely on touching the volume meter on the taskbar. We wiped out of pain and ringing ears on one side, and frustration on the other.

The above may have worked for Amarok's old version. There is no way to do in 2.

Why conclude it's the fault of pulseaudio when it could be the fault of amarok? Certainly mplayer and banshee worked well when amarok had issues for me, so it's premature to point the finger of blame. Amarok is happier with the yauap engine than with the xine engine in my case.

It's all about using some patience and having some understanding that distros can't be tested on every single platform and every single software combination out there. So I don't "blame" amarok or pulseaudio, I just try to find a solution or a workaround - the developers are doing a great job.

Since this is a soapbox, it *really* annoys me when people make accusations and threaten to abandon a distro.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out is a phrase that comes to mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast