Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SUSE 11.1 KDE 3.5 screensaver config problem

Default SUSE 11.1 KDE 3.5 screensaver config problem

SUSE 11.1 64 bit, KDE 3.5 (Kdesktop environment Release 3.5.10 release 21.11). I can't find any help about for this package. This install used the openSUSE-11.1-DVD-x86_64.iso install DVD. There were no install poblems.

In the Configure Kdesktop, Screen Saver I have the Start Automatically check box selected for 5 minutes. After the first install login (directly from the installer) when I select the Screen Saver the Window briefly shows a loading message, then the list of available screen savers appears in the Screen Saver Window. I selected a screen saver.

I did add the Packman repository and loaded some new software packages before the first real boot. The KDEartwork3-kscreensaver, KDEartwork3-xscreensaver and xscreensaver software packages are still installed and I never touched them (I only looked to verify there are installed). I didn't do anything that should have affected the screen saver configuration that I know about.

I searched the forum for screen saver and screensaver, but didn't find anything useful. When I added 3.5 to the search there were no results returned.

After my very first shutdown and real boot, when I select the Screen Saver the Window stays blank and never shows me a list of screen savers (i.e. the Screen Saver Window is always blank). The Start Automatically check box is still checked. Any idea of what is happening here?

BTW, I checked out KDE4 and it still has too many critical problems for me to use it yet, but its getting better. Maybe someday.

Default Re: SUSE 11.1 KDE 3.5 screensaver config problem

Interesting. Same thing here, the screensaver list is empty.

Me three. (Mine was an upgrade from x32 openSUSE 11.0 to 11.1 using the DVD.) Curiously, the entire screensaver list is there in KDE 4.

Bump

Anyone else have any information? Does this look like an 11.1 OpenSUSE distribution bug?

It's been reported as a bug.

In the meantime, you can put your screensaver of choice in ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc manually, e.g.

[ScreenSaver]
    Saver=KLines-saver.desktop

and set it up by running the corresponding binary, e.g.

/opt/kde3/bin/klines.kss --setup

Thanks for locating that information. Since it was a known bug in beta 5 that made it into the final release, I suppose it will not get fixed anytime soon.

I also upgraded from OpenSuSE 11.0 to 11.1 and have the same problem. For what it's worth, the screensavers are available if I go into the Gnome desktop. But none of the openGL screensavers work, which seems to be a different problem.

If I use the ATI proprietary driver, I can't use tvtime because of a YUY error, but glxgears works. If I use the default SuSE driver, tvtime works fine, but I have no openGL. Neither glxgears or glxinfo work.

mofg NNTP User

Same thing here on Screen Saver list

Same here for me. Upgraded from 11.0 to 11.1 and nothing shows in the list (although I thought it did straight after the upgrade - maybe I was dreaming).

I have the same issue after upgrading to 11.1 from 11.0. However, if I use KDE4, the screensavers show up. Looks like 11.1 is NOT quite ready for prime time. An unrelated issue is I cannot get the proprietary ATI driver to work. I make a Suse 11.1 x64 rpm, yast installs it with no errors, but does not work. I have followed the procedures in other threads on the ATI driver, but no go. I have an MSI hd3650...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast