Thread: Search: Beagle does not find applications

Question Search: Beagle does not find applications

Beagle only seems to find documents and websites etc. Applications are never found, even when I search for popular software like firefox. What do I have to change so applications are displayed?

Note: I have tried selecting all search domains (local, system, global, neighburhood) but no result.

Default Re: Search: Beagle does not find applications

I tried installing beagle-index package but that doesn't help. I double checked, I have applications selected in the options for what beagle needs to search.

Does nobody else have this problem? This didn't work in 11.0 neither...

In my case Beagle doesn't index evolution e-mails and firefox history.

jwsolomon NNTP User

Hi,

I was experiencing the same problem and replaced beagle with tracker. I prefer tracker to beagle anyway, because its footprint is easily minimized.

First, search for and install "tracker" using the opensuse build service.
    Software.openSUSE.org

Then using gconf, navigate to desktop>gnome>applications>main-menu
    change search_command key from "beagle-search SEARCH_STRING" to "tracker-search-tool SEARCH_STRING".
    This will provide the same Slab, or "Main Menu", search functionality. If you prefer the menu bar (Applications Places System), you can drag Tracker Search Tool from Utilities to the panel, creating a launcher with command "tracker-search-tool"

It may ask you to activate tracker service the first time; in any case, "trackerd" and "tracker-applet" should be automatically added to Sessions>startup programs.

Then uninstall or disable beagle.

Make sure you give tracker some time (around 10 minutes) to finish indexing your home directory-then log out and log back in-before deciding whether it functions to your satisfaction.

Tracker settings-such as indexing when on battery and resource/performance management-can be controlled using command "tracker-preferences"

jwsolomon NNTP User

I should mention, however, that tracker doesn't yet support bookmarks.

It's confusing to have a search box in the application menu that doesn't find applications...

Anyway, GNOME Do seems to provide this functionality (and more).