Updater keeps posting new software available!#?

openSUSE 11.0, KDE 4. XPS M1330 Dell laptop

Here’s the problem.
I click on the red triangle on bottom right desktop task bar.
It says " New Software for your system is available."

So I click on the icon and a window appears with all the updates and the ‘install’ button.

I click on it and an Administrator’s password window pop’s up.

I correctly type in the Administrator’s password and hit enter.

The window goes away and 5 seconds later the red triangle is showing again, “New software for your system is available.”

Rather than keep going through this strange, never ending cycle. I would prefer it just goes away, as no updates are made at all.

How do I remedy this weird situation?
The linux guru’s reading this, know how easy it is, no doubt.
I however am stumped.

Thanks,
Chetanji

Sorry, it is KDE 3.5.9 with the others staying the same.

The suse updater goes insane sometimes.

Go to YaST → Software → Online Updates, select all new patches available and install.

Thanks a bunch for your continued help. You have been a timely answer for me.
Blessings,
Chetanji;)

Anytime mate :slight_smile:

I don’t have YaST –> Software –> Online Updates. All I have under “Software” is “Software management”, “Add-on products”, “Media check” and “Software repositories”.

lucmove wrote:
> freedguy;1912589 Wrote:
>> Go to YaST → Software → Online Updates, select all new patches
>> available and install.
> I don’t have YaST → Software → Online Updates. All I have under
> “Software” is “Software management”, “Add-on products”, “Media check”
> and “Software repositories”.

How did that happen? Seems your YaST is missing some of its standard
parts!!

TRY this: select “Software Management”, search on yast and click
to place a check mark (to install) these two:

yast2-online-update-frontend
yast2-online-update

It may then pop up a list of other items it needs to add to satisfy
dependencies–accept them.

If you are lucky, the next time you start YaST it will have all the
parts it was born with. (If you are unlucky: find someone with a
better suggestion to try.)

Chetanji wrote:

>
> openSUSE 11.0, KDE 4. XPS M1330 Dell laptop
>
> Here’s the problem.
> I click on the red triangle on bottom right desktop task bar.
> It says " New Software for your system is available."
>
> So I click on the icon and a window appears with all the updates and
> the ‘install’ button.
>
> I click on it and an Administrator’s password window pop’s up.
>
> I correctly type in the Administrator’s password and hit enter.
>
> The window goes away and 5 seconds later the red triangle is showing
> again, “New software for your system is available.”
>
> Rather than keep going through this strange, never ending cycle. I
> would prefer it just goes away, as no updates are made at all.
>
> How do I remedy this weird situation?
> The linux guru’s reading this, know how easy it is, no doubt.
> I however am stumped.
>
> Thanks,
> Chetanji
>
>
I had a similar problem with KDE 4.1.3. I found if I right clicked the updater icon I found an option to register it, then the updater started working, the register option is gone now. I download the repositories for oss, non-oss and update. which were already on my system. But it then started working. ON-line update under YaST2 has always worked.

Russ
Register Linux User# 441463

Mine shows a little differently in 10.3, and I get to it like this:

(Click)K Menu,

(Click)Applications,

(Click)System,

(Scroll down and click)YaST,

(Enter Root Password),

(Software is already highlighted on the left side in the YaST Control Center),

(“Software” on the right side of the YaST Control Center on mine shows “Software Management,” but that’s probably the same as what you showed or meant),

(Click)Software Management,
then mine didn’t show any packages showing, but what it did instead was to add an update or update servers, which I already had and had set up during the installation of 10.3.

Now, after clicking on the “Software Management” a second time, now the “Package Manager” shows up, but even though the SUSE Updater still shows that there’s an update available, the “Package Manager” is blank and doesn’t show any available updates.

When I run the updater and install the update, the update appears to work, but the updater afterwards still shows an update available, and it’s the same update.

I don’t see a “Register” choice when right-clicking on the Update Icon and only see:
“Add/Remove Update Sources,”
“Configure Applet,”
"Check Now,
“Restore”
and “Quit.”

I also tried unchecking the “Automatic Refresh” option but that hasn’t helped.

After doing the previous, the updater still shows the same updates, 1 security plus 3 recommended, updates available, BUT now they’re double, I see each update twice now so I have removed the “extra” update sources so I won’t show 2 of the same security updates available and 2 each of 3 other recommended updates available for a total of 6 recommended updates available, which I suppose means that the update manager is accessing the same updates from two sources, so that’s why I have removed the “double entries” of update sources.

Oh well, maybe I’ll just ignore the updater by maybe unchecking those updates I have already installed and maybe it will show other updates later on, unless they won’t show up until these are gone or not showing anymore.

I suppose that once I can buy more CDs or DVDs, maybe I’ll try burning an ISO image of 11.1 and stop using version 10.3, maybe then the problem will disappear.

I know the thread was from December of last year, so it’s an old thread, but at least it isn’t 3 years old, as some I’ve read on other sites where I’d like to reply to, and sometimes I still will, but then I usually forget about it.

Have a Great Day,
Bernard

I have corrected my “Auto-Updater” problem in OpenSUSE 10.3 by clicking on “Patch CD Update,” instead of on “Software Management,” and then, after seeing the patches listed out, and after checking the boxes next to the patches that were in Red, and installing those, my problem disappeared.

The OpenSUSE Updater now doesn’t show any updates available.

However, I’m wondering if something else I have done is the right thing to do or not, or whether it’s going to be “harmful” to my system, and that is I also have clicked on the “Automatic online update,” chose a 10 pm daily time for these automatic updates and have left the “Skip Interactive Patches” box checked, but wonder if I should uncheck that box or not, or whether I need to do manual checks with the Updater, or whether the updater will show the availability of “Interactive” updates having the Automatic Updates set the way it is now.

Have a Great Day,
Bernard