Solved: Cursor position in Kwrite in KDE4 in openSUSE 11.1

Hi. It seems Kwrite is now the default GUI text editor in KDE4 in 11.1. I am familiar with clicking the cursor in “open space” in text editors and having the cursor position itself at the end of the current line. From there I can start typing. In KDE4/openSUSE 11.1, if I have the mouse in the far right field (in white space) and click, the cursor will settle there and auto create a bunch of single blank spaces from the end of the current line to the unwanted new position of the cursor. I want the cursor to go to the actual end of the line and not to create a bunch of new single spaces tacked onto the end of the current line.

How can I turn this new feature off (or is it a bug)?

Thanks
Swerdna

I just tried this in my Laptop, see sig.

No issue for me. But I am using 4.2 beta

Sounds like a bug. Did you check at bugs-kde? I know there were issues with kwrite in 4.1.3 but I never came across that.

I’ve checked now. Can’t find one at KDE or at Novel Bugzilla. So do I unedrstand you correctly – I can upgrade the KDE4 in 11.1 to 4.2 is that right? Maybe also I’ll try a but report to Novell and while waiting try the upgraded kwrite/KDE combo. Might also be easier to uninstall kwrite for KDE4 and install kwrite for kde3 may be possible …hmmm.

Found the adjustment at Settings → Config Editor → Editing → Cursor & Selection → Activate “Wrap Cursor”

So do I understand you correctly – I can upgrade the KDE4 in 11.1 to 4.2 is that right?

Yes. But it’s classed ‘Unstable’. Though I find it better than 4.1.3 Stable.
There are one or two dependency issues to work thru on the upgrade, but it should be straightforward for a Linux guru such as yourself.

Found the adjustment at Settings –> Config Editor –> Editing –> Cursor & Selection –> Activate “Wrap Cursor”

I wonder how you ended up with anything other than ‘Normal’ in the first place.

Here’s another weird one: I’ve got an installation of 11.1 KDE4 on a spare computer that has the plasma default insert top LHS of screen containing 7 icons including a Gnome terminal. How Gnome terminal got in there is a wonder too :wink:

Is it possible you have either kept /home from previous install or transfered settings.

What happens if you re-name the .kde4 folder (.kde4old), re-login to kde4. Should be like a new user session.

In the install I chose the KDE but before I clicked “everything is fine” switch that proceeds with the install, I altered the “Software” to include the Gnome DE (via Patterns). That’s probably confused the install.

If I rename to KDE4old I get a plasmoid with the contents of /home/john in it when I log in again.

If I rename to KDE4old I get a plasmoid with the contents of /home/john in it when I log in again.

You mean a folder view. That is normal, you can delete it or modify what it displays.

Yes I suppose that’s what I mean. I’m content ATM about it all, but KDE4 is certainly a trial! When will it become as good as KDE3 I wonder – another 6 to 12 months perhaps. But it should be worth the wait because presumably all this was done for a good reason.