Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 57 of 57

Thread: 11.1 and Gramps

  1. #51
    Graham P Davis NNTP User

    Default Re: 11.1 and Gramps

    Prexy wrote:

    >
    > There is an import function that is supposed to use Ver. 2 data, but it
    > didn't work. I did get it to import a ged file. Oddly, starting it
    > different ways gives different results. Some of the menus (not menu
    > items) are missing from some ways to start.
    >


    For me, installing from a new repository has changed where Gramps appears in
    Kmenu. It always used to be in Office but in a separate menu called "other
    applications" or somesuch but now it's in Office with the rest of the
    stuff.

    If you're getting different results from starting in different ways I wonder
    if you've still got two versions on the system? Might be worth checking the
    version from each way of starting.

    When you say you start in different ways, do you mean you're kicking off
    from different icons in Kmenu? However you're doing it, it might be worth
    checking what command is being issued to start the program.

    --
    Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy


  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,120

    Default Re: 11.1 and Gramps

    Too many variations to go through. However, if I try to start from the console as root, it crashes. If I start as user, it loads. It also now loads from the menu.

    I imported a ver. 2 database and it fails, saying it can't open it, even though that is a listed option. If I import the backup copy (xxx.backup.gramps) of the same file, it works. GED files work.

    Focusing on the positive: it looks nice; there seems to be a lot of features I don't remember; its fast.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

  3. #53
    Prexy NNTP User

    Default Re: 11.1 and Gramps


    Too many variations to go through. However, if I try to start from the
    console as root, it crashes. If I start as user, it loads. It also now
    loads from the menu.

    I imported a ver. 2 database and it fails, saying it can't open it,
    even though that is a listed option. If I import the backup copy
    (xxx.backup.gramps) of the same file, it works. GED files work.

    Focusing on the positive: it looks nice; there seems to be a lot of
    features I don't remember; its fast.


    --
    If your gecko is broken, you have a reptile dysfunction.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Prexy's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=233
    View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=402319


  4. #54
    Robert Carlson NNTP User

    Default Re: 11.1 and Gramps

    Prexy wrote:
    > Too many variations to go through. However, if I try to start from the
    > console as root, it crashes. If I start as user, it loads. It also now
    > loads from the menu.
    >
    > I imported a ver. 2 database and it fails, saying it can't open it,
    > even though that is a listed option. If I import the backup copy
    > (xxx.backup.gramps) of the same file, it works. GED files work.
    >
    > Focusing on the positive: it looks nice; there seems to be a lot of
    > features I don't remember; its fast.
    >
    >

    I am not sure what the problem is, but I uninstalled version 3,
    reinstalled 2.2, exported my data as XML, reinstalled 3, and imported
    the XML without a hitch.

  5. #55
    Robert Carlson NNTP User

    Default Re: 11.1 and Gramps

    Prexy wrote:
    > Too many variations to go through. However, if I try to start from the
    > console as root, it crashes. If I start as user, it loads. It also now
    > loads from the menu.
    >
    > I imported a ver. 2 database and it fails, saying it can't open it,
    > even though that is a listed option. If I import the backup copy
    > (xxx.backup.gramps) of the same file, it works. GED files work.
    >
    > Focusing on the positive: it looks nice; there seems to be a lot of
    > features I don't remember; its fast.
    >
    >

    I am not sure what the problem is, but I uninstalled version 3,
    reinstalled 2.2, exported my data as XML, reinstalled 3, and imported
    the XML without a hitch.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,120

    Default Re: 11.1 and Gramps

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Carlson View Post
    Prexy wrote:
    > Too many variations to go through. However, if I try to start from the
    > console as root, it crashes. If I start as user, it loads. It also now
    > loads from the menu.
    >
    > I imported a ver. 2 database and it fails, saying it can't open it,
    > even though that is a listed option. If I import the backup copy
    > (xxx.backup.gramps) of the same file, it works. GED files work.
    >
    > Focusing on the positive: it looks nice; there seems to be a lot of
    > features I don't remember; its fast.
    >
    >

    I am not sure what the problem is, but I uninstalled version 3,
    reinstalled 2.2, exported my data as XML, reinstalled 3, and imported
    the XML without a hitch.
    Thanks for the tip. But, to be honest, its too much trouble for me. I always saved my work two ways, one of which was gedcom. Version 3 handles gedcoms without a hitch. After this experience, I'll be sure to continue saving good old gedcoms.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

  7. #57
    Prexy NNTP User

    Default Re: 11.1 and Gramps


    Robert Carlson;1929005 Wrote:
    > Prexy wrote:
    > > Too many variations to go through. However, if I try to start from

    > the
    > > console as root, it crashes. If I start as user, it loads. It also

    > now
    > > loads from the menu.
    > >
    > > I imported a ver. 2 database and it fails, saying it can't open it,
    > > even though that is a listed option. If I import the backup copy
    > > (xxx.backup.gramps) of the same file, it works. GED files work.
    > >
    > > Focusing on the positive: it looks nice; there seems to be a lot of
    > > features I don't remember; its fast.
    > >
    > >

    > I am not sure what the problem is, but I uninstalled version 3,
    > reinstalled 2.2, exported my data as XML, reinstalled 3, and imported
    > the XML without a hitch.

    Thanks for the tip. But, to be honest, its too much trouble for me.
    I always saved my work two ways, one of which was gedcom. Version 3
    handles gedcoms without a hitch. After this experience, I'll be sure to
    continue saving good old gedcoms.


    --
    If your gecko is broken, you have a reptile dysfunction.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Prexy's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=233
    View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=402319


Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •