Linux can't run on PC without Windows underneath

Hello my friends,

Step in to the wonderful world of the clueless ignorant people who try to prove they are top l33t and very sm4rt !!1!1!

Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer fron start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

I dont see how this will happen at all.

Vista is far more powerful than windows XP, and runs twice as fast. It is also much harder to pirate, and this point more than anything else has the Linux crowd in a panic.

It wont be long until Windows XP is no longer supported, and when that happens, what is Linux going to do ?

Linux will have to find a way to work under Vista from here on, since it wont be able to rely on XP being readily available anymore.

Linux may seem like a good alternative to Office, but all that is happening in linux is that the windows interface is cleverly hidden away. It still needs the drivers and software services in order to run, and in most cases - that happens WITHOUT a valid windows licence.

This is just plain piracy.

Vista will finally put an end to this blatant abuse of intellectual property, and linux should decline, taking the pirates with it.

Anyone that supports the continuation of Windows XP in place of Vista surely has a hidden agenda … and you will surely be caught out.

Direct links
copypasta.org - internet copypasta database
copypasta.org - internet copypasta database

the problem is, you have taken these posts from a database that provides old posts from forums, so it is impossible to know how this discussion ended, if the person who had no understanding of linux, like so many people, including myself, until I moved to it, had a better understanding of linux when the discussion was finished.

You are sure this is not parody? :smiley:

that’s not the point here. I posted these quotes for the lulz. Also you have to consider how stupid/ignorant one must be if he can’t accept that Linux MAY BE a full OS just like Windows. Before I started with computers, I knew that only Windows existed. When I first heard about Linux, I asked what it was and I got as an answer that it was an alernative OS one can use. This was not difficult to accept AT ALL. Instead of resisting, like this guy obviously does, I did a bit of research myself and found out that Linux is indeed a full OS

no it’s not. I got the info from good sources.

Yeah I don’t doubt that such people exist. Remember the teacher who was mercilessly outed by Helios. Though exactly when and where originally this was posted who knows. Would have to be post-Vista, of course. There’s one born every minute, remember.

Someone should show the person a VirtualBox with another OS running inside and totally fry his tiny brain. lol!

@ ken yap :smiley:

I bet he will then accuse you of stealing covered-up Area 51 alien technology, because running a full OS inside another full OS is just not possible with human technology lol

Lol, it was better then the Windows for Nuclear Submarines. rotfl!

… with tongue in cheek, I note I still have a version of Windows on most the PCs in our house, … good thing I guess, … else by that account my openSUSE would not run ! :eek:

… although come to think of it, we have a PC in the house that only has no windows, and an empty partition for free dos (empty because I have not installed free dos yet) and a dual boot with openSUSE-11.1 and fedora-10. How can that run? :eek: … perhaps there is a copy of windows in the BIOS ? :rolleyes:

… all tongue in cheek humour … of course … :smiley: ]

> Linux MAY BE a full OS just like Windows

It is not even CLOSE to being “just like Windows”, it is a helluva
lot better per user dollar/euro/crown/pound/etc invested.

That’s not ignorance. That’s what happens when wemen get drunk, and don’t know who they got f***** with. Maybe it was a monkey or smth. With offspring like that…the world is going down the drain. next we’ll hear that linux is failed nazzi technology.

Windows for nuclear submarines? =)) that’s a good one. Then BSOD=50% of earth’s land mass totally obliterated ?

Windows is windows and Linux is Linux, the worst thing they could do is make linux like windows, windows sucks, vista was a flop and MS know it, then the hype about Windows 7, so what, it wont affect Linux users. The scary thing is how much money MS are putting into Novell. Why is this, in 5 years time will it be M$ opensuse? Scary thought! Everything that MS aquire is done by purchasing other products, messing them up and rebranding them with that annoying flag. As for people who dont know about linux, well thats their problem, they are just stuck in vicious circle of rip of software vendors, let them use their malware magnets to surf the web.

PS and the School teacher was an excellent example

you won’t see M**** opensuse, as opensuse is comunity built. Nor MS sled or sles, as that would blow windows out of the water. Sled and sles, becoming microsoft, would mean that more software makers would start building a lot of linux software(if they would maintain sled\sles’s linux base). That would mean that all other linux distrib would benefit from this, including opensuse. Can u imagine what would mean for ms, if game producers would build theyr games for linux as well?

I wonder what this guy/girl will say if we show him/her that not only Linux exists and is a separate full OS, but also there’s this thing called UNIX and BeOS and ReactOS and Plan9 and Minix and Syllable and and and… :slight_smile:

Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Haow can someone who can’t even distinguish between hardware an software make such assertions? Has to be some kind of selective brain damage, hopefully not hereditary. :slight_smile:

I have one without windows
Only that it has doors.:shame:

Original post in ZDnet thread: Why Linux will not displace Windows | TalkBack on ZDNet (Both quoted posts, and more gems, are in the thread)
A “fan site” for the author: JerryLeeCooper.com

Thanks for that link. The ‘Fan Site’ is hillarious. I was in a game shop yesterday and was smiling when I customer told the sales assistent he was not paying €60 a year to MS to play online with his Xbox 360 when PC gamers can do it for free. I loved it!

My computer has windows btw… It’s called a see-through-side panel… and it’s made by Antec, not MS… :smiley:

I have been trying to fully get rid of MS windows but can’t since most of my games don’t work under Linux and neither does my cursed Ipod Touch!

Hahahha,

Those are the same kind of people that pick up a mouse (when first introduced to one) and wave it in the air complaining: “this mouse doesn’t work!”.

Believe me I’ve experienced that and the only course of action is to calmly leave the room backwards, trying hard not to startle them.