Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth Solution for openSUSE 11.1

Thumbs up Bluetooth Solution for openSUSE 11.1

After having great difficulty getting the new KDE graphical interface for Bluetooth running in the new 11.1, so I changed tracks and focused on the command line, instead. With a lot of help from "jhe" in freenode, we got the BT device registered and automatically detected in future reboots. I wanted to document these commands for everyone else struggling with their own bluetooth configuration. After reading through the forum posts here, it seems like I was not alone in having problems.

HOWTO Bluetooth Apple Keyboard (aluminum model):

All commands must be run as root.

First, determine the BT dongle is working correctly. This HOWTO assumes it is. Refer to other documents if you are having trouble here.

Next, determine the address of the BT device. In this case, the keyboard was 00:1E:52:FF:68:44
    Code:
    hcitool scan
    Next, download the two developer scripts, simple-agent and test-device :
    git.kernel.org - bluetooth/bluez.git/tree - test/

Configure these scripts on your system so they can be run as root, with the chmod command.

Turn on your BT device.

Pair your device with the bluetooth dongle using the following command :
    Code:
    ./simple-agent hci0 00:1E:52:FF:68:44
    Type a four digit code when prompted for a PIN, and type the same on the keyboard. You should get a device path, if it works correctly. For example:
    Code:
    New device (/org/bluez/6308/hci0/dev_00_1E_52_FF_68_44)
    Lastly, connect to the device, using your device path :
    Code:
    dbus-send --system --dest=org.bluez --print-reply /org/bluez/6308/hci0/dev_00_1E_52_FF_68_44 org.bluez.Input.Connect
    Your BT keyboard should now be functional. Do not be afraid to run these commands more than once, if they did not immediately succeed. Bluetooth works on cycles of many seconds. Personally, I ran the dbus-send command three times before a connection was established.

Finally, to keep from having to run these commands on every boot, run this command to establish a trust for the device:
    Code:
    ./test-device.pl trusted 00:1E:52:FF:68:44 yes
    Let me know if this helps you get up and running. Happy hacking.

torbenk NNTP User

Default Re: Bluetooth Solution for openSUSE 11.1

Thanks, that helped me with my bluetooth mouse.
    But I really hope there will be a patch or something, because I don't want to manage my bluetooth devices with the console.

There was an outstanding bug regarding the lack of a working bluetooth gui before 11.1 was released. Honestly I'm very disappointed it was released before the issue was resolved. The best work around proposed was to install the gnome bluetooth package since kde3 bluetooth is broken on kde4. It's an upstream issue, but hopefully an update to bluetooth will be released soon.
    Unintentionally left blank...

hi,

i hv problem when execute ./simple-agent

error as below
    insp1420:~ # ./simple-agent hci0 00:07:61:9B:FF:A5
    File "./simple-agent", line 21
    def Release(self):
    ^
    IndentationError: unexpected indent

can someone tell me what is happen?

tks

scheskis NNTP User

The solution is working well with Logitech travel bluetooth mouse

demuthb NNTP User

worked fine for the MS mice 5000 'til the next reboot.
    Even after the restart hcitool scan can't find the mice again.
    Any idea?
    Best regards
    Bernd

Exclamation Re: Bluetooth Solution for openSUSE 11.1

bluetooth works if using bluez packages from seifes repo and using gnome-bluetooth tools from within a gnome-session.
    when using gnome-bluetooth tools from within a kde-session it doesn't work.

Next, download the two developer scripts, simple-agent and test-device :
    git.kernel.org - bluetooth/bluez.git/tree - test/

Configure these scripts on your system so they can be run as root, with the chmod command.

Could you please explain how to do this?

Thank you in advance

Nope doesn't work for me in 11.0. My logitech cordless mediaboard pro still doesn't work I only get errors.
    Code:
    linux-*:/home/*/Documents # ./simple-agent hci0 00:07:61:76:8F:A0
    ERROR:dbus.connection:Unable to set arguments ('00:07:61:76:8F:A0', '/test/agent', 'DisplayYesNo') according to signature u'so': <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>: Fewer items found in D-Bus signature than in Python arguments
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 563, in msg_reply_handler
        reply_handler(*message.get_args_list(**get_args_opts))
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 391, in _introspect_reply_handler
        self._introspect_execute_queue()
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 378, in _introspect_execute_queue
        proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 132, in __call__
        **keywords)
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 543, in call_async
        message.append(signature=signature, *args)
    TypeError: Fewer items found in D-Bus signature than in Python arguments

^CTraceback (most recent call last):
      File "./simple-agent", line 109, in <module>
        mainloop.run()
    KeyboardInterrupt
    linux-*:/home/*/Documents # New device (/org/bluez/6308/hci0/dev_00_07_61_76_8F_A0)
    bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
    linux-*:/home/*/Documents # New device /org/bluez/6308/hci0/dev_00_07_61_76_8F_A0
    bash: New: command not found
    linux-*:/home/*/Documents # dbus-send --system --dest=org.bluez --print-reply /org/bluez/6308/hci0/dev_00_07_61_76_8F_A0 org.bluez.Input.Connect
    Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Connect" with signature "" on interface "org.bluez.Input" doesn't exist

Quote Originally Posted by silalaval View Post
    Could you please explain how to do this?

Thank you in advance
    Download them. Right mouse click on "raw" and use "Save link As" (probably you must rename it with the original name)
    After downloading...
    open a terminal or konsole and change to the directory where you have previously downloaded them. (cd /downloaded/directory)
    then execute the command "chmod +x nameofthefile" without quotes and then execute "su" without quotes and
    Then execute "python name_of_script" (I think this is a python script) and follow the rest of the manual

Good luck

Luis
    La Humildad no es "Status"..
    ... es un �"Don"!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast