Thread: Screen goes blank at login (ATI) 11.1

Default Screen goes blank at login (ATI) 11.1

I'm posting this in case someone else has the same issue. I had an issue where the screen was going blank at login.

If I booted in failsafe mode it would work. In failsafe mode, I disabled 3D Acceleration on my ATI Radeon 9800 PRO, and that seemed to fix the issue.

So if you're having the same problem, it's worth a shot.

Default Re: Screen goes blank at login (ATI) 11.1

I had this too. But, I just waited.... at one point I counted about 20 seconds..... and the screen came up.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

I have had a similar problem with an ATI Radeon 9600. Only, the screen wouldn't go blank just once, it went blank for a few seconds and then turned on again -constantly. I have now logged in in safe mode and the problem seems to have gone away. I'll give it a shot disabling the 3D Acceleration.

Thanks for the tip.

I don't know whether this only applies to ATI. I've done four installs this morning, of 11.1 and each time, eventually at reboot, I end up with a black screen, just as KDE4 desktop should start. There is a plasma error notification, but nothing there.

Eventually, I seem to have traced it down to the error occurring, if after I install the Nvidia video driver. This occurs whether or not I've enabled the KDE4 desktop effects. Makes no difference.

This is on my test box, using an Nvidia FX5200 video card. I don't want to try anything on my main system, which uses an Nvidia GeForce 8400GS, until this is resolved.

Anyone have any ideas?

Regards,
    zenarcher

You could check the settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to make sure you are loading the fglrx in the Section "Device".
    Disabling 3D could also do the trick, but then you loose any compiz effects you might want to have.

It should not happen to the newer drivers, but also check this:
    ATI - openSUSE

Wishing you luck,
    Wj
    Have a lot of fun!

Hi Zenarcher,

Just to make sure: did you use the legacy drivers for NVidia?

Cheers,
    Wj

ps. It's probably best to start a new thread for this one as it seems like a different problem!
    Have a lot of fun!

Thanks, I'll start a new thread. I enabled the Nvidia repo in Community repo's and let YAST install that driver...it's a version 173, whichever driver that may be.

Cheers,
    zenarcher