Cannot mount a CD-ROM

I just installed openSUSE 11.1. I was trying to burn a CD on the new system, but neither K3b or Brasero would recognize that I had a disc inserted. I tried dmesg and came up with the following output:

cdrom: This disc doesn’t have any tracks I recognize!
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0

This is with a blank DVD+R in the drive. Inserting a blank CD gives the same message.

Anyone have a few hints? I really need my CD drive…

Hi,

same problem here: can’t write a CD because I can’t get access to the drive(s).

Not a clean trick, but it works: login as root and k3b does the job!

Still searching for a clean configuration…

I had exactly the same problem - neither K3b nor Brasero could see my cd/dvd drive, which obviously is working because that’s how I did the installation. After looking over the openSUSE Wiki, openSUSE News and openSUSE forums last night and not finding any information, I’ve gone back to Fedora 10. Too bad.

Hmm. This sounds like a bug. I never had this problem with 11.0.

Any of you linux wizards out there care to drop a line?

Just tried running K3b as root, and it works fine. So this defintely sounds like a permission problem.

Well, I just tried it in GNOME, and it works fine. So apparently it’s a KDE problem. In which case, I deserve it, as I am running KDE 4.2 beta (and lovin it). What desktop are you guys using?

I am going to post on the KDE forums and see what comes up.

Well, one of the folks at the KDE forum asked me if I my user account was in the cdrom group. It wasn’t, and adding it seemed to solve the issue. So I’m one happy penguin!

Hi,

I’m using OpenSUSE 11.1, KDE 4.1.3, user account in users, cdrom. I restarted my PC after every change: starting k3b both of my burning-drives are o.k., putting in a clean cd to write, there flashes the start-button, then the drive disappears!

Today, after a cold-boot, k3b works! But there is still a little bug: putting in a clean cd to write keeps k3b in the status that it doesn’t find a medium to write on. Taking out an old recorded DVD of my second burning-device, putting in the same (!) clean cd and k3b works…

besides: graveman, a very simple burning-program, works out of the box :slight_smile:

anyway: tux keeps burning!

I have this issue under SuSE 11.1 and KDE 4.1.3
the block device sr0 (which is what the dvd and cd links point to) has the permissions set to allow root and the disk group to have access. everyone else is denied access (others group).
logged on as root and changed the permission. logged out of root and back in as user. had correct permissions.
rebooted and the permissions reverted to disallow access to others.
Rebooted and logged on as user under Gnome. Had correct rights.

However, I cannot locate the script that controls the rights to /dev/sr0

Also cannot get a script to work that changes the rights on log on.

Any further information is most welcome

An update from someone who has wrestled with this
problem. Apparently, it all has to do with permissions.
By default a user is not included in the “cdrom” group
or the “wheel” group. Also a user is not able to
use the “sudo” technique to execute commands that
are normally reserved for root.

So, the first step is to add yourself to the “cdrom” group.
You open Yast and go to the Security and Users tab, then go to
User and Group Management. Find yourself, edit the listing and
add membership in the “cdrom” group. Then you can mount the
cdrom and as a rsult, K3b and Brasero will work.

You can consult the advisability of being able to
run commands using “sudo” and edit /etc/sudoers appropriately.

Also, there are reasons why you might want to be a member of
the “wheel” group.

But just to use K3b, Brasero and mount cd’s and dvd’s,
having membership in the “cdrom” group seems to be
enough.

One final point. This is not a Gnome or KDE issue.

Hope this helps.

Actually I discovered you need to add the user to the “disk” group. Here’s how I figured it out.

I checked my devices:

koppie@cabernet:~> ls -l /dev
total 0

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-12-22 02:58 cdrom4 -> sr0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-12-22 02:58 cdrw4 -> sr0

brw-rw----+ 1 root disk 11, 0 2008-12-22 02:58 sr0

I could see that my dvd-rw drive was showing up as sr0. sr0 only had rw permissions for root and for the group “disk.” I also got a hint from this post: G(r)eek Bitches’ Blog: When Amarok doesn’t play audio CDs… (Also has good tips on adding restricted formats, etc.)

I added the group “disk” to my user, logged out and back in, and huzzah it works!

I had the same cd-rom access problem after a fresh install of 11.1 on a ThinkPad T23. I used the drive to install from the DVD and non-OSS CD. It worked fine. When up and running, KsCD would start loading, then close. K3b could not see the drive. I followed trotter1985’s instructions and put myself in cd-rom and disk groups. All is well now.

trotter1985, thanks for the detailed instructions, they made the fix very easy.

Howard

Mmm, don’t use the disk group, that’s for hard disks. It means you have the capability to read the raw disk contents and see sensitive data. Use the cdrom group.

Surprise!. We are outside the ‘users’ group!. I included myself inside the ‘users’ group and all operations on CD/DVD are normal again.

Best Regards!

What about DVDs in 11.0/11.1? I remember doing this in 10.2 and it didn’t work, the way I found was to include myself in group “disk”.

I did an upgrade from 11.0 to 11.1 and had same problem that I could not access the CD drives from k3b. I deleted the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules and rebooted and all was OK.

I installed 11.1 a few days after it came out and I was able to burn and play disks without issue. Today, all of a sudden I couldn’t. Adding cdrom and disk groups fixed it, but something is very wrong that this happened. No, I didn’t update anything, but something got corrupted.

So it works, but who knows what problems being a member of the disk group could cause?

Actually, it’s a bug in 11.1. The problem with the disk group is that the members have raw access to all drives, which is even on a single user PC a bit risky - imagine the havoc you could wreak with a misplaced dd (didn’t know that when I wrote the blog post koppie is citing, have updated it by now - sorry).
A safer solution proposed in the Novell bug thread would be to give the cdrom group permissions for CD/DVD drives in the udev rules (alternatively, I copied the solution to our blog).

1. One person said, that "So, the first step is to add yourself to the “cdrom” group.
    Yast-Security and Users tab-User and Group Management-Find yourself, edit the listing-add membership in the “cdrom” and “disk” group. Restart also required!
    “Then you can mount the cdrom and as a result, K3b and Amarok will work” - no they didn’t!!!

2. Second person said, that “Works OK here for me on”: x86_64 with hal-0.5.12-39.1.x86_64.rpm and
    hal-32bit-0.5.12-39.1.x86_64.rpm installed from
    Link:Index of /repositories/home://dkukawka/openSUSE_11.1/x86_64

3. Third person said, that it is a bug “no” change to “Yes” in lines 61 nad 62:
    But i couldn’t save changes!!!

Link: https://bugzilla.novell.com/attachment.cgi?id=262331&action=diff#org.freedesktop.hal.device-access.policy.orig_sec1

62 <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
<allow_inactive>yes</allow_inactive>
63 <allow_active>no</allow_active>
<allow_active>yes</allow_active>

What is the next option?
Opensuse 11.1 was released in December, today is very end January of 2009.
Why professionals still sleeping?