Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Plasma forgets layout

  1. #1

    Default Plasma forgets layout

    It's as the title says really. Every time i log out and in again Plasma plays a kind of Russian roulette. Will it remember it's layout or will it not. Often it does not and the panels get all mixed up. Is there anything i can do to prevent this kind of behaviour?

  2. #2
    google01103 NNTP User

    Default Re: Plasma forgets layout

    Caracalla wrote:

    >
    > It's as the title says really. Every time i log out and in again Plasma
    > plays a kind of Russian roulette. Will it remember it's layout or will
    > it not. Often it does not and the panels get all mixed up. Is there
    > anything i can do to prevent this kind of behaviour?
    >
    >

    I think it gets better in 4.2 beta (the unstable repos), a possibilty is that something is corrupt or uses an older format so removing your plasma rc files and starting fresh may help, it helped me
    ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc
    ~/.kde4/share/config/plasmarc



    --
    Suse 11.0 x64, Kde 4.2beta (unstable repo), Opera 9.x weekly

  3. #3

    Default Re: Plasma forgets layout

    Quote Originally Posted by google01103 View Post
    Caracalla wrote:

    >
    > It's as the title says really. Every time i log out and in again Plasma
    > plays a kind of Russian roulette. Will it remember it's layout or will
    > it not. Often it does not and the panels get all mixed up. Is there
    > anything i can do to prevent this kind of behaviour?
    >
    >

    I think it gets better in 4.2 beta (the unstable repos), a possibilty is that something is corrupt or uses an older format so removing your plasma rc files and starting fresh may help, it helped me
    ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc
    ~/.kde4/share/config/plasmarc



    --
    Suse 11.0 x64, Kde 4.2beta (unstable repo), Opera 9.x weekly
    The beta is more stable than a final version? That's ridiculous. Very strange to ship an OS with a flaw like that.

  4. #4
    google01103 NNTP User

    Default Re: Plasma forgets layout

    Caracalla wrote:

    >
    > google01103;1910840 Wrote:
    >> Caracalla wrote:
    >>
    >> >
    >> > It's as the title says really. Every time i log out and in again

    >> Plasma
    >> > plays a kind of Russian roulette. Will it remember it's layout or

    >> will
    >> > it not. Often it does not and the panels get all mixed up. Is there
    >> > anything i can do to prevent this kind of behaviour?
    >> >
    >> >

    >> I think it gets better in 4.2 beta (the unstable repos), a possibilty
    >> is that something is corrupt or uses an older format so removing your
    >> plasma rc files and starting fresh may help, it helped me
    >> ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc
    >> ~/.kde4/share/config/plasmarc
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Suse 11.0 x64, Kde 4.2beta (unstable repo), Opera 9.x weekly

    > The beta is more stable than a final version? That's ridiculous. Very
    > strange to ship an OS with a flaw like that.
    >
    >

    let me rephrase - for me I always had this issue, even after my upgrade to 4.2 but after removing the rc files and recreating them it's been much better - probably more to do with the recreation of the files but I found 4.2 to be better in general then 4.1 and have interest in reverting back to 4.1
    --
    Suse 11.0 x64, Kde 4.2beta (unstable repo), Opera 9.x weekly

  5. #5

    Default Re: Plasma forgets layout

    Quote Originally Posted by google01103 View Post
    let me rephrase - for me I always had this issue, even after my upgrade to 4.2 but after removing the rc files and recreating them it's been much better - probably more to do with the recreation of the files but I found 4.2 to be better in general then 4.1 and have interest in reverting back to 4.1
    --
    Suse 11.0 x64, Kde 4.2beta (unstable repo), Opera 9.x weekly
    So where are those files and how does one recreate them?

  6. #6
    google01103 NNTP User

    Default Re: Plasma forgets layout

    Caracalla wrote:

    >
    > google01103;1910984 Wrote:
    >>
    >> let me rephrase - for me I always had this issue, even after my
    >> upgrade to 4.2 but after removing the rc files and recreating them
    >> it's been much better - probably more to do with the recreation of
    >> the files but I found 4.2 to be better in general then 4.1 and have
    >> interest in reverting back to 4.1
    >> --
    >> Suse 11.0 x64, Kde 4.2beta (unstable repo), Opera 9.x weekly

    > So where are those files and how does one recreate them?
    >
    >

    ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc
    ~/.kde4/share/config/plasmarc

    just erase or rename them - to recreate you might just make a change in your appearance and panels or definetly by restarting kde
    --
    Suse 11.0 x64, Kde 4.2beta (unstable repo), Opera 9.x weekly

  7. #7

    Default Re: Plasma forgets layout

    Ok, thanks, i'll try that.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Plasma forgets layout

    Quote Originally Posted by Caracalla View Post
    Ok, thanks, i'll try that.
    Didn't work, it's even more messed up then before.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    570

    Default Re: Plasma forgets layout

    if you have another DE installed like gnome or kde 3 log into that browse your files and in home you should find .kde4 dir rename it to .kde4old
    then try logging back into kde4

  10. #10

    Default Re: Plasma forgets layout

    Quote Originally Posted by Havoc65 View Post
    if you have another DE installed like gnome or kde 3 log into that browse your files and in home you should find .kde4 dir rename it to .kde4old
    then try logging back into kde4
    What will that do? Go back to the default layout?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •