Software management tool closes automatically

I guess this goes here.
In 11.0 when the software manager was done installing something it would, politely, ask you whether you wanted to do anything else or close the program. In 11.1 the thing just closes down without as much as a by your leave, I really hate this. Is there an option to get back the old behaviour somewhere?

The unprompted close has been added as a feature to 11.1 as others have been requesting it.

There’s also a bug report asking to switch back to the old behaviour that you can find here : https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=421660

You could add your comments to that?

Cheers,
Wj

They call removing functionality a feature? Adding the option for unprompted closing would have been a feature. Bah! i say.
Oh well, i guess i’ll see about registering with bugzilla.

I too miss this feature. Now you have to retype your password everytime. Very annoying. Is there no way or hack to reenable it?

perhaps if they were to put a checkbox next to the “accept” button in YaST that gives you the option to “close YaST when installation/deinstallation complete” ?

Not if you start Yast first and then run the manager from Yast.

They should really do that. I totally dislike that new “feature” because everytime I click the install/remove software button in Yast the repository metadata have to be read in and cached. That costs a lot of time and is really annoying.

Yeah… well, I’m joining your sentiment (and that of others). The bug says enough on the devs thoughts… If they get enough requests they might go for middle ground.

Btw. If you have an account here it should also work for bugzilla.

Cheers,
Wj

I reall like it more. After installing i don’t have to remember to click no. And if i do some software managemenr i run YaST and i don’t have to type five times the password.

Another reason i do not like the new method is that i lack confidence in the stability of computers. When the installer up and vanishes i always have to wonder whether the installation went off without a hitch or the instaler crashes. A nice confirmation message (perhaps ofering the possibility of launching the recently installed program where aplicaple) would be nice.

I agree with this statement

I totally agree. In fact, I’d go a step further and add an option “You must restart your computer in order for the new wallpaper to take effect. Restart the computer now or later?” Actually, I wouldn’t make that an option, I’d make that the default, just like every serious OS does. There!>:)

Do you have a point to make?

Nope. Just venting my unconditional love and admiration for Windows. Not the right place, I know…:stuck_out_tongue: Won’t happen again.

Caracalla wrote:

>
> Magic31;1910221 Wrote:
>> The unprompted close has been added as a feature to 11.1 as others have
>> been requesting it.
>>
>> There’s also a bug report asking to switch back to the old behaviour
>> that you can find here :
>> https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=421660
>>
>> You could add your comments to that?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Wj
> They call removing functionality a feature? Adding the option for
> unprompted closing would have been a feature. Bah! i say.
> Oh well, i guess i’ll see about registering with bugzilla.
>
>

Not only do they call it a feature, they are seriously annoyed with those of
us who don’t like the change, because they don’t understand why we don’t
like it. Mind you, it’s not exactly like they asked us if this was a
feature we should lose. They certainly don’t appear to be listening to us.

bob@rsmits.ca (Robert Smits, Ladysmith BC)

“I’m not one of those who think Bill Gates is the devil. I simply suspect
that if Microsoft ever met up with the devil, it wouldn’t need an
interpreter.” - Nicholas Petreley