Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yast is going crazy

Default Yast is going crazy

I realize Yast has always been buggy, but it has gotten much, much worse the last 2 days. This is will v11.0

It keeps bouncing between different versions of firefox, xine(between the worthless one that it ships with and the one on packman), and other applications. But it always does this BS, but is now unusable.

The automatic update feature won't update because the resolver is broken, and I can't even open software management in Yast because of a seg fault: YaST got signal 11 at YCP file /usr/share/YaST2/clients/inst_packages.ycp:36
    /sbin/yast2: line 421: 21134 Segmentation fault $ybindir/y2base $module "$@" "$SELECTED_GUI" $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARG

Using zypper just breaks more apps. This is not the way to encourage upgrading to 11.1

Blog Entries

Default Re: Yast is going crazy

Quote Originally Posted by vilanye View Post
    It keeps bouncing between different versions of firefox, xine(between the worthless one that it ships with and the one on packman), and other applications. But it always does this BS, but is now unusable
    Using zypper just breaks more apps. This is not the way to encourage upgrading to 11.1
    IMHO this is a problem specific to your setup.

Possibly you have an inappropriate selection of repos, or your zypper or rpm database is corrupted.

I would agree if it weren't for the fact I have seen this behavior on several systems, and it is well known this is a problem all around. Putting the blame on me, because Yast wasn't built correctly, doesn't help.

Yast should be smart enough not to offer up any incompatible repos.

None of this has anything to do with a seg fault, so the problem can't be fixed, if it is my fault. You did know that if the opensuse updater runs into a resolver problem it just gives up quietly, don't you?

Blog Entries

I would agree if it weren't for the fact I have seen this behavior on several systems, and it is well known this is a problem all around. Putting the blame on me, because Yast wasn't built correctly, doesn't help.
    The intention is to help you.

I do think you should take a look again at what I suggested.

I run several systems. I do not have this problem. This is NOT a problem all around.

What is the output of:
    zypper lr
    on each of your systems that have this problem? What have you done to check if you have a corrupted database? Following the same systemic practise on each system can lead to the same systemic problem on each system.

Blog Entries

I helped someone earlier with this issue I'm sure. oldcpu is pointing you in the right direction:

do in a terminal as su

rpmdb --rebuilddb

then

zypper refresh

zypper up
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

"
    I run several systems. I do not have this problem. This is NOT a problem all around."

So if you don't have a problem it isn't common? Look outside of opensuse websites and learn the truth about zypper and Yast in general.

caf4926,

Thanks for your legitimate help. Too bad it didn't work. A seg fault shouldn't have anything to do with a misbehaving repo. I guess the only thing to do is to go back to 10.2, when YAST was reliable or find something that hasn't been bloated up. Thanks again.

Blog Entries

So if you don't have a problem it isn't common? Look outside of opensuse websites and learn the truth about zypper and Yast in general.
    If it was as common as you note, I (or one of my colleagues) would have encountered it. I have installed 11.1 on 4 completely different systems, and I have exchanged emails/PMs with over a dozen users who have also installed 11.1 on many systems. I would have seen a lot of mention of it ... and YES, I have surfed and this is not common.

IMHO you have encountered a systemic problem associated with the specifics in terms of how you have set things up. I'm not saying you have done something incorrect, but I am saying you have systemically done something different to bring your problem about. I think you should focus on what you are doing to come up with a cause and effect.

drye NNTP User

Hi.

I'm running the 11.0 and i encountered exactly the same problem as the original poster. (YaST got signal 11 at YCP file /usr/share/YaST2/clients/inst_packages.ycp:36
    /sbin/yast2: line 421: 21134 Segmentation fault $ybindir/y2base $module "$@" "$SELECTED_GUI" $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARG)
    Rebuilding the rpm database didn't help.
    If I run YaST from the command line, everything works as expected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The automatic update feature won't update because the resolver is broken, and I can't even open software management in Yast because of a seg fault: YaST got signal 11 at YCP file /usr/share/YaST2/clients/inst_packages.ycp:36
    /sbin/yast2: line 421: 21134 Segmentation fault $ybindir/y2base $module "$@" "$SELECTED_GUI" $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARG
    Just this morning I posted a temporary workaround for this issue in an existing thread. I would guess if you have any new input besides what has already been said, you should follow up in that thread.

I'm having the same problem as the original poster, and this isn't the first time. I had this problem once before, but it went away when I completely reinstalled OpenSuSE 11.0. No other fix seemed to help including backing out all non-OSS and external code. The system hardware checks out fine, and ran for several months without any issues. I believe there may be an errant package that gets installed as an add-on to satisfy some dependency that corrupts some component of Yast2. Note, though, that the command line version works fine on my systems.

Here is the uname and zypper info. Let me know what else you need...
    #uname -a
    Linux optimux 2.6.25.20-0.4-default #1 SMP 2009-06-01 09:57:12 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

And here is the output from zypper
    # zypper lr
    # | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh
    ---+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+---------+--------
    1 | Index of /repositories/games/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - Games | Yes | Yes
    2 | Index of /repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - Wine CVS Builds | Yes | Yes
    3 | Index of /repositories/server:/database/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - Database | Yes | Yes
    4 | http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.0 | NVIDIA Repository | Yes | Yes
    5 | Index of /repositories/GNOME:/Community/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:Community | Yes | Yes
    6 | Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - KDE4:Factoryesktop | Yes | Yes
    7 | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Community/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Community | Yes | Yes
    8 | Index of /pub/packman/suse/11.0 | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes
    9 | Index of /distribution/11.0/repo/oss | Main Repository (OSS) | Yes | Yes
    10 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.0-Debug | No | No
    11 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.0-Oss | Yes | No
    12 | Index of /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla | Yes | Yes
    13 | Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/11.0/ | VideoLan Repository | Yes | Yes
    14 | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Backports/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Backports | Yes | Yes
    15 | Index of /repositories/Virtualization:/VirtualBox/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - Virtualization (VirtualBox) | Yes | Yes
    16 | Index of /repositories/OpenOffice.org:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - OpenOffice.org | Yes | Yes
    17 | http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/11.0/_1 | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes
    18 | Index of /repositories/server:/php/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - PHP | Yes | Yes
    19 | Index of /repositories/Virtualization:/Qemu/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - Virtualization (QEMU) | Yes | Yes
    20 | openSUSE-DVD 11.0 | openSUSE-DVD 11.0 | No | No
    21 | Index of /repositories/Mono:/Community/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - Mono:Community | Yes | Yes
    22 | Index of /repositories/server:/mail/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - Mail Server | Yes | Yes
    23 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.0-Non-Oss | Yes | No
    24 | openSUSE-11.0-Updates | openSUSE-11.0-Updates | Yes | Yes
    25 | Index of /repositories/GNOME:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:STABLE | Yes | Yes
    26 | http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.0_1 | NVIDIA Repository | Yes | Yes
    27 | Index of /distribution/11.0/repo/non-oss | Main Repository (NON-OSS) | Yes | Yes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast