Type YaST or yast2 and press ENTER
Key in your root password and press ENTER
Click on software management
Search for flash
Mark flash-player for uninstallation and click Accept
Close YaST

Visit

Adobe - Adobe Flash Player

and click on the dropdown list to select the version for download. Select the .rpm version and download it
After you have downloaded it, close all firefox windows. Then right click on the rpm and select Open With->Install software
Key in your root password and press ENTER, it will install in a jiffy, as if nothing has happened :stuck_out_tongue:

Now Press Alt and F2, and type konsole or gnome-terminal and press ENTER
Type

sudo cp /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/browser-plugins/

and press ENTER

You’re done !

after typing the command in the terminal, i’m asked for my root password but it doesn’t react when i typ (no letters appear). My keyboard works fine apart from this. Any idea what’s going wrong?

Yeah that’s normal. It doesn’t echo the password or print *s or anything like that. But if it’s correct, you will be permitted to continue after hitting return.

If you are using openSUSE 11.1 you already have the latest version of flash.

Many thanks for this guide, to a newbie like me this was very useful.

The RPM package in Adobe’s site is for i386. Can it be installed in x86_64 opensuse 11.0/11.1? The installed FF 3.08 is the 64-bit version.

i have succesly downloaded the new flash player thanks for all the help… but the problem is that my computer still ask me to download it… and when i agree it says i have it! which i do!!! and my javascccript is enable… but still the computer says that i need to install it to se some websides!!!
any idea of what it could be… i have istalled it from get.adobe.

Open a terminal and post result of the following:

uname -a
rpm -qi flash-player

I’m having trouble installing flash player or plugin or whatever, also and of course I can’t view youtube videos, in firefox, nor in opera, which of course I want to do.

When I do

rpm -qi flash-player

I get

flash-player is not installed

Yet opera is already hooked up to find flashplugin.so

In yast, I see listing of
coreboot-utils (univ flash pgmg util)
flash-player (after a green checkmark w 3 dots under it)
flash-plugin (after a blackbox with white checkmark)
gnash (after an empty box)
libflashsupport
libflashsupport-32bit
pullin-flash-player
swfdec (a free flash player)
swfdec-devel
swfdec-doc (a free flash player)
swfdec-gnome
swfdec-gnome-lang

Which of these do i need to uninstall before installing the flash rpm?

How do I mark for uninstall - why do dif listings have differnt-looking checkmarks?

If you get this
flash-player (after a green checkmark w 3 dots under it)
It means it is due to be installed
click accept in yast - what happens

edit:
Can you start an new thread and PM me the link
save cluttering this HowTo

I’m having some trouble installing this on my Compaq desktop running 11.2, trying to install flash 10.

Everything seemed to go smoothly until I opened Konsole and pressed enter after entering the exact string. This is Konsole’s response:

(My ID)@linux-cm7w:~> sudo cp /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so/usr/lib/browser-plugins/

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

root’s password:
cp: missing destination file operand after /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so/usr/lib/browser-plugins/' Try cp --help’ for more information.

I log in SU mode and type the same string and get the same error:

cp: missing destination file operand after /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so/usr/lib/browser-plugins' Try cp --help’ for more information.

I can open Firefox and type about:plugins in the address box and it shows this:

Shockwave Flash
File name: libswfdecmozilla.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r999
application/x-shockwave-flash Adobe Flash movie swf Yes(Enabled)
application/futuresplash FutureSplash movie spl Yes(Enabled)

Yet I can open YaST, search for flash and all of these are empty boxes:
flash-player
gnash
pullin-flash-player
swfdec
swfdec-devel
swfdec-doc
swfdec-gnome

and these are checked:
coreboot-utils
flash-plugin
tvflash

I didn’t uninstall the corboot or tvflash because I didn’t think it relates to my flash 10 installation project.

An interesting note, the flash-plugin row contains my “Adobe Flash Player 10.1” but in the “Installed(available)” the print is in red: 10.1.53.64-release

It’s the only red field on the YaST page.

Any ideas?

Please disregard. Crazy me didn’t put the space between the copy from source to the copy to folder.

Thanks for the tutorial. Flash 10 is working on my system. Yaaaaaaaaaaaay !!! :slight_smile:

It is interesting.
I am Adobe Flex professional, working on openSUSE 11.2 and I would never recommend automatic update of player. Happens from time to time that newest version doesn’t work properly, then you are in trouble. Well, I am using also debug version of it, and I cannot afford for a flash-player to break or give strange errors on tested code. Ok, they fix it quickly, but that was a bit more than 24 hrs… if I didnt had backup, I would be wasting my time instead of working.

So, this is how I do it:

1. In YaST, uninstall and taboo flash-player, open flash player or whatever plays flash
  2. Go to adobe site and bookmark its download page
  3. download new flash player
  4. go to /usr/lib/browser-plugins and backup libflashplayer.so (move it to your backup directory)
  5. Extract downoaded file, and remove everything but libflashplayer.so (sometimes package comes with some extras inside)
  6. Copy it to /usr/lib/browser-plugins

if everything is OK, good, if not, just copy back old one you backuped.
When new version arrives, just download it yourself and copy it to directory as explained above. Be sure to test it :slight_smile:

there should be a single space between sudo cp /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so and /usr/lib/browser-plugins/

In OpenSuse12.1, I just typed “flash” in search field of YaST. (alt + f2 -> for YaST window)
It brings all the files that i need to install for flash.
I selected all of them and click on install.

That is it… No more configuration need from my side. Everything is taken care by the YaST.

I did check my flash installation, by going to Youtube. It works.

~Andy