Java Runtime in Firefox?

The real-time quote system used by my brokerage house requires a “Java Runtime Environment” plug in. I think it was installed with FireFox 3. The error message also indicates I may not be able to get real-time quotes because of a popup blocker.

Which possibility should I work on first?

How do I turn off the popup blocker for this one application?

How do I tell if the Java Runtime plug-in is installed?

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Cordially,
TwoHoot

In FF - Tools - Addons - Plugins

is it listed in there

FF should offer you options for popups when they happen, you would just allow popups from ???

I installed these (in 11.0 32 bit) using Yast → Software module:
java-1_6_0-sun-1.6.0.u7-1.1
java-1_6_0-sun-plugin-1.6.0.u7-1.1

@caf4926 isn’t that better than the Sun jre RPM that Ffox leads to?

Yes, but do you need to update. My version number is:

1.6.0.u10-2.1

Your quoted is 3 down the list in Updates.

The java is only 32-bit. If you have 64-bit system you will have a heck of a time trying to get it to work (I gave eventually gave up). The nsplugginwrapper won’t work with java (AFAIK).

That’s OK. I am using my travelling laptop. I don’t update it much because it uses a modem. Broadband but low speed so mostly I forget to update. Currently I’m at my birthday celebrations so as you can imagine from the link – It’s 4 a.m. and I’m too busy to care rotfl!

Thank everyone for the helpful advice. caf4926 suggested I look to see if the plug-in is listed. It is not.

Others indicated the type of system might be important. openSUSE 11.0 (boxed version) is running on an AMD Sempron 2500+ 64 processor with 1.25gb memory and a 40 gb hard drive devoted solely to openSUSE. If it matters, the main board is a Gigabyte K8 Triton (GA-K8VM800M (rev 2.0))

I am new to openSUSE so what should I install to get the functionality I need? Will it be on the installation disk or do I have to get it from an online repository? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cordially,
TwoHoot

Is your version of opensuse 64 bit? IF so you will either need to use the openjdk plugin, or a new jre update from Sun (jre-6u12-ea-bin-b02-linux-amd64-08_dec_2008.bin) This has full 64 bit support, just simlink (you may have to research this if your new to linux) this file /jre1.6.0_12/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so to your browser plugins folder and it’s done.
It’s working great.
Regards Peter.

P McCracken

Thanks for your little tip. I’ve finally got JRE working after weeks of trying (on and off).

There is a 64bit Java plug-in for browsers (still in development, but stable for me)

JAVA plugin for 64bit browsers - openSUSE Forums