Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista & Seven V Open Suse 11.1

Default Re: Windows Vista & Seven V Open Suse 11.1

Quote Originally Posted by rs3york View Post
    Windows 7 Beta is pretty good, I've been playing around with the 64bit version and it's nice although you end up running a mixed system since all the apps you add on top are 32bit. It's not problematic, it's just sad that's the state of 64bit on Windows in 2009. I was hopeful that W7 would be the first 64bit-only OS from Microsoft but I guess with the whole "let's get away from the Vista stigma" there was a need (real or imagined) to offer an upgrade path for businesses who want to stay 32bit.

I'm not sure it really makes sense to compare openSUSE 11.1 to Windows 7 since W7 isn't even released yet and by the time it does openSUSE 11.2 will be out.

As for oS 11.1 vs. Vista, things haven't changed that much in the general Linux vs Windows "battle". Depending on your resources, needs and wants you should select the appropriate operating system. Personally, I think Vista is pretty good, it was just the initial transition woes + UAC that created the stigma around Vista (Apple's popular I'm A Mac/PC ads perpetuating, shall we say, 'half-truths' didn't help either).
    A source told me that winXP is 64bit no way is a 64bit,oooh I don`t know about W7 ??

I salute Linux is the first is running 64bit

I had played with W7 64bit for a while.. it's great.. so different experience, then Vista.. runs smoothly on my laptop, even do it's still a BETA.. I've tried several different apps (32 and 64bit) on it, and they all worked well.. the sad thing is, that, compared to Linux, for Windows 64bit platform apps are rear..

But I've heard, that by the time Windows 7 goes public, it's 64bit version will be the main one (do maybe this will push the development harder up front)
    kamilsok.wordpress.com
    pldspot.wordpress.com

HP Compaq 6710b, IC2D T7100 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM DDR2 667MHz , HDD SATA 120 GB, openSUSE 11.1 64bit

Read today I need Vista installed to update to W7. No upgrades from the XP I need to run 1 program, Xara. So I need to buy the vista upgrade then W7, or, stay with xp, runs excellent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oilpaint View Post
    Read today I need Vista installed to update to W7. No upgrades from the XP I need to run 1 program, Xara. So I need to buy the vista upgrade then W7, or, stay with xp, runs excellent.
    Unless you need to either upgrade Xara or take advantages of some of W7's other features or security (if you go online with that machine), XP should work fine for a while.

Doesn't Xara also come with a Linux version, other than Xara Xtreme which is already free for Linux? I thought they had a commercial version for Linux as well.
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

I think Win XP was a great OS, except it wasn't secure at all. Vista was a big step in the right direction, there. Unfortunately there are still apps that sit on top of it that are terribly non-secure (office, outlook, explorer).

About the Vista experience.... my wife's HP laptop came with vista and was completely unusable. Total ****. I tried OS11 on it, and it was great-- except that at the time the broadcom wireless chip in it wasn't supported. So I re-installed vista from scratch using the activation info that originally came with the machine. Guess what? When I got rid of all the **** that HP added it was *Much* better. Still annoying for all the known reasons-- but at least my wife could use it. Installed firefox and open office and she was good to go. Just one anecdote out of many, to be sure. YMMV.

OTOH, I'll probably install OS 11.1 on her laptop sooner or later, since she's worried about getting a virus.

Xara linux hasn't been upgraded in a long time, needs work. Xara 4 runs on vista, with all the vista troubles I use xara 3. But, windows 7 looks good, mabe tired of xp?

http://www.imagebam.com/image/9bd5b927889314

Wow! Windows 7 looks almost as good as Vista does .

I know, let's start a new thread, let's call it: openSUSE 11.1 versus Smallfluffyanimals, or better still: openSUSE 11.1 v Apples v Oranges just to make a more balanced comparison!

Fluffy animals and fluffy software. Of course that's it. I use kde 4.1 because it's fluffy and kde 3 and gnome are ugly and worn out. Gnome works hard, never breaks, but oh those stupid tiny ugly icons,back to red hat 7, or earlier. KDE 4 Laura Croft tomb raider or gnome baglady

innocent12 NNTP User

Angry Re: Windows Vista & Seven V Open Suse 11.1

When you consider the unimaginable amount of money and labor resources that Microsoft has been pouring in to the Windows OS for the past 15 years, the results have been pretty poor. A lot of people simply think that because Windows OS has 90% of the market, that it is "free" with a new PC and MS has a huge army of programmers to support its products (70,000 worldwide just to develop XP...), it must be good.

Far from it. For example, while installing a Windows OS you get a message saying something like "now analyzing PC". This "analysis" loads hundreds of megabytes of unnecessary .dll and driver.sys files to your hard drive that you will likely never use or, if you did need them, you could install them later from the OS CD-ROM. MS should have fixed this problem when they released WIN95 but they never did.

So, each release of Windows is increasingly bloated by unnecessary .dll and .sys files and bells and whistles.

After installing WIN XP SP2, for example, you have to download something like 78 security fixes and enhancements. You then have the option to download the SP3 update and find that are there still more hot fixes to download.

You have problems with your OS so where do you look? Not at MS's website unless you have ample time to waste...

Nevertheless, I quite like WIN XP and if MS had bothered to fix the fundamental flaws and incorporated the so many good fixes given on third-party websites, it would have been a good product. But it hasn't and that is why I pray for a simple, light and reliable OS from another source.

And as for Microsoft Office, the sheer volume of the installation is obscene. (All I personally want is a half-decent word processor, spreadsheet, and slide presentation software - not 650MB of bells, whistles and other useless ****.) Thank goodness that at least there is the Open Office option available.

Well fact is that Microsoft was never making software, they were mostly buying out technologies, NT technology was bought for example, i don't know about other software but it is VERY probable that other software was also bought instead of creating it.
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast