Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: KDE 3.5.x not in OpenSuSE 11.2

Default Re: KDE 3.5.x not in OpenSuSE 11.2

Quote Originally Posted by markone View Post
    That will obviously be the hardware, then.
    Oh, I must've IMAGINED those issues with 11.1 and the iNtel driver because as As I recall 3.5.x went down crashing and burning left and right under 11.1 if you happened to be using an iNTEL. That is, if you were actually able to install it due to the disasterous intel_drv.so that shipped with it that usually ended up with a black screen. Short is the memory of man, eh?

As I said, perhaps your crashing issues are more related to the driver rather than KDE itself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantine View Post
    As I recall 3.5.x went down crashing and burning left and right under 11.1 if you happened to be using an iNTEL. That is, if you were actually able to install it due to the disasterous intel_drv.so that shipped with it that usually ended up with a black screen.
    Intel drivers do have problems, although I believe it varies from Intel card to Intel card, and from Kernel version to Kernel version.

I considered updating my wife's laptop from openSUSE-11.1 to 11.2, as documented here: Intel 855GM graphics problems w/openSUSE-11.2s 2.6.31 kernel - openSUSE Forums

... an update from about an hour agai, to that thread, is I decided NOT to update to 11.2 because of the sad state of the Intel graphics driver. Instead I am sticking with 11.1 where the Intel graphics driver works with the 11.1 kernel. BUT I am currently in the process of re-installing 11.1 with an updated KDE-4.3.4 desktop (replacing the old KDE-3.5.10 on that laptop). The significantly improved clone desktop (for driving an external display) is a feature KDE4 provides that my wife and I must have, and KDE3 unfortunately did not "cut it" for that feature on this model laptop.

Will Honea NNTP User

Chrysantine wrote:

>
    > markone;2086341 Wrote:
    >> That will obviously be the hardware, then.

> Oh, I must've IMAGINED those issues with 11.1 and the iNtel driver
    > because as As I recall 3.5.x went down crashing and burning left and
    > right under 11.1 if you happened to be using an iNTEL. That is, if you
    > were actually able to install it due to the disasterous intel_drv.so
    > that shipped with it that usually ended up with a black screen. Short is
    > the memory of man, eh?
    >
    > As I said, perhaps your crashing issues are more related to the driver
    > rather than KDE itself.

You're tilting at the wrong windmill here. The real issue is that many of
    us support multiple users and consider the computer system - not just the
    computer - to be a tool to accomplish work. If configuration A works and
    configuration B doesn't then configuration A is the answer - that's
    acceptance testing 101. I'm all for progress but not at the cost of
    usability. Even stripping KDE4 down as far as I can does not give me a
    room full of users who are as productive as they were with KDE3 - too many
    changes in functionality with no simple way to incrementally integrate the
    changes as their value is demonstrated. That argument disregards stability
    issues regardless of cause. Instability, for whatever reason, is just one
    of many reasons to reject the product if the previous level was stable in
    that environment.

--
    Will Honea

Quote Originally Posted by robopensuse View Post
    Oh, oh, see above. It does run, and it tells you what other programs to try to install to enable "missing" features.
    Then, instead of having that conversation, why don't you help me with the crash of Quanta? I have another post in the same forum.

It is quite different to have an application ported and another one not. Quanta for example, was part of KDE. Not an external application.
    I think time on KDE3 support would be better invested in KDE4.
    I totally agree with you.

it really has improved a lot, in the last year.
    Yes, but still it's not on par with KDE 3.5, in productivity. You cannot deny that. Unless of course you belong to the group of people that do not care about usability. For example, had you ever tried to edit a file with kwrite or kate from Dolphin SU? Simply, you cannot. For some stupid 'security' concern.

Anyway, if you thing that I moan, then please answer my posts for Quanta. Because I spend 99.5% of my day with it and now, I moan instead of working.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    Yes, but still it's not on par with KDE 3.5, in productivity. You cannot deny that. Unless of course you belong to the group of people that do not care about usability.
    Actually, for some of us your statement is not correct.

KDE4 is more productive for me. With KDE3 my laptop would not drive an external display reliably, with out a lot of hacking on the spot, every time I was in a meeting. And that was not practical.

With KDE4 it just works. This is far more productive in a corporate meeting, and I would not dream of taking a KDE3 laptop to that meeting. KDE3 just did NOT work. KDE4 just works for that function.

To make such a global statement that users who find KDE4 works better than KDE3 do not care about usability is nonsense. Its a statement of frustration and not a balanced statement. The fact many of us on this and other threads are saying KDE4 does work is also another indication that KDE4 works better for a number of us. YES, many do find KDE3 falls short, but I venture a view that many of us find KDE4 works better.

We are not fan boys pushing a shiny new product. we are simply relating our experience with KDE4.

Thumbs down Re: KDE 3.5.x not in OpenSuSE 11.2

I have to say that I agree generally with Will Honea above in that "progress", "modernity" etc are poor compensation for show-stopping degradations of functionality. For me, the usefulness of the OS (apart from browsing the web and email) is tied specifically to my being able to develop and maintain C++ GUI apps.

OpenSuSE 11.1 / KDE 3.5x provide an entirely satisfactory and functional environment for my purposes. What incentive (other than its "modernity") does KDE4 offer? Who, for example, needs to rotate widgets?? Or view multiple desktops as faces of a cube?? I would much rather the KDE folks had put an equivalent effort into meaningful functionality and bug fixes instead of into weird eye-candy.

As for KDevelop4, I notice no one has responded to my request for documentation on migrating from the KDE3 world to the KDE4 one. As far as I can tell, no such documentation exists. For example, kdevelop.org has numerous obsolete links--for example to a kdevelop tutorials and documentation that are years out of date.

It appears I'm left to create skeleton KDevelop4 projects and trying to paste in my code piecemeal. That's going to be a ton of work--and for what benefit to me or to my users?

Maybe the OpenSuSE and KDE developers are "Having a lot of fun", but this consumer of their [product] is not.

It appears everything is possible - I did today my own opensuse based distro with the abandoned configuration: opensuse 11.2 KDE 3.5

That's great, read more Niczsoft.com Blogs opensuse 11.2 kde 3.5

Hello @ll

Why i need every half year a new Pc?

I don't need it and i don't have the Money to buy a new PC. And i'm not alone !

I selve have only a 32 bit PC:

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, Athlon 3500+, 3 GB Ram, HVR 1300 TV Card, Geforce 7800 AGP-GPU and a Audigy Sound Card.

I dont play Uptodate Games on the PC but i works with it. (Webprogrmming).

I use SuSE at the 7.2 Realese (and higher) and all SuSE Distries with KDE 3 runs Stable. I tryed KDE4 and if i watched Tv, the Screensaver was going every 30 minutes on, but the Screensaver was turned off !!

Why i need the 3-D Desktop Efects?? I don't need it.

For some People is KDE 4 a good choice, but not for me and kde 4 dont run Stable on older Hardware . I have a old Laptop and have on it problems with KDE 4, too.

Did have KDE 4 now the digital clock from KDE 3?

I hope the KDE 4 will run Stable on older Hardware and have in future all the funktions from KDE 3 (Themesmanager, etc....)

Best Regards

Peter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234