Thread: Adding a Remote Folder to Digikram

Default Adding a Remote Folder to Digikram

I keep my digital photo and music collection (only about 80GB) on a Samba server in our home office. I like this setup because it allows all the computers on the home network to access our media easily, and gives me one directory to back up (rather than trying to keep track of what media was on what computer). On my openSUSE machine, I would like to be able to work with these remote folders via Digikram (or some other photo manager). While adding the folders to Digikram is easy, it tries to copy the entire collection to my local hard drive, rather than indexing them remotely. Is there anyway to get Digikram to use the directories as remote folders, rather than an import source?

I particularly want to use Digikram because of it's ability to fine duplicate images. When I first undertook the mammoth task of combining our various digital photo collections, I ended up with a large amount of duplicate pictures. I don't know of any other photo manager that has this feature.

Any hints? Ideally I want to get Digikram to play with my photos remotely; on the other hand I am willing to use another manager that does do so, but then I would need a separate solution for handling my duplicate images.
    Dell Inspiron 530 - C2Q@2.4Ghz; 6GB RAM; openSUSE 11.2 x86_64; KDE 4.4.1
    Dell Inspiron 1440 - C2D@2.2Ghz; 4GB RAM; openSUSE 11.2 x86; KDE 4.4.1
    Dell Latitude D531 - AMD Turion X2 64@2.0Ghz; 2GB RAM; Linux Mint 8

Default Re: Adding a Remote Folder to Digikram

Pssst, it is spelled Digikam.
    Henk van Velden

I keep my digital photo and music collection (only about 80GB) on a Samba server in our home office. I like this setup because it allows all the computers on the home network to access our media easily, and gives me one directory to back up (rather than trying to keep track of what media was on what computer). On my openSUSE machine, I would like to be able to work with these remote folders via Digikam (or some other photo manager). While adding the folders to Digikam is easy, it tries to copy the entire collection to my local hard drive, rather than indexing them remotely. Is there anyway to get Digikam to use the directories as remote folders, rather than an import source?

I particularly want to use Digikam because of it's ability to fine duplicate images. When I first undertook the mammoth task of combining our various digital photo collections, I ended up with a large amount of duplicate pictures. I don't know of any other photo manager that has this feature.

Any hints? Ideally I want to get Digikam to play with my photos remotely; on the other hand I am willing to use another manager that does do so, but then I would need a separate solution for handling my duplicate images.

Is that clearer?

I tried to draw your attention to the fact with as less fuss as possible. Can't help that you blow it up now. In the meantime that does not help you very much wich your problem. Anyone comes to the rescue???
    Henk van Velden

I hope that you not think I am not trying to look into your problem itself. But as I am a noob in MS systems and thus never realy used SAMBA I am afraid I am of no use. When you had mounted the external data using NFS I do not think that Digikam would even notice this, it would see the files in there the same as local files. It seems that SAMBA shares (is that the right term?) are not seen as just files in the Linux file tree.

Others may be more helpful here.
    Henk van Velden

Sorry if I seemed rough. I'll admit it. I was embarrassed.

Anyways, it appears that Digikam does support remote folders. However, I found it easier to mount my Samba shares onto my local filesystem. Works great for both Amarok and Digikam. So I'm a happy penguin.

Thanks fro your concern and the timely spelling correction!

Hello,
    Digikam 9.4 in KDE 3.5.9 does not officially support remote folders such as NFS. The Digikam included with KDE 4 does support remote network shares, and also USB devices....I think.

There was a workaround for KDE 3.5 versions that involved putting a symlink here or there.....

mckeeshop
    SUSE 11.1
    Ubuntu 8.10