Thread: MPlayer for suse 11.0?

Default MPlayer for suse 11.0?

Hi. Anyone knows how to install mplayer or an equivalent player on suse 11.0. I tried to install it from source without success, the "make install" breaks complaining that there is no default skin installed. Is there maybe an alternative player available, that opens most of media files. Thanks for help.

Blog Entries

Default Re: MPlayer for suse 11.0?

Quote Originally Posted by arcull View Post
    Hi. Anyone knows how to install mplayer or an equivalent player on suse 11.0. I tried to install it from source without success, the "make install" breaks complaining that there is no default skin installed. Is there maybe an alternative player available, that opens most of media files. Thanks for help.
    When it comes to compiling MPlayer from source, user microchip is one of our resident experts.

But it is easy to install MPlayer (together with its excellent front end smplayer) from pre-compiled rpms.

I assume your PC has internet access? If so, then the very first thing you should do is setup your software package management. Do so by adding 4 and only 4 repositories to your Software package manager. A "repository" is in essence the address of a file server where there are many applications on that file server. Specifically I recommend you add OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman. Just those 4 repositories (repos). No others. None. You can add more than those 4 only when you understand the risks and problems that can arise from other repositories, and also only when you understand how to fix such problems.

There is a guide here on how to add those 4 repositories; Repositories/11.0 - openSUSE-Community Again add ONLY OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman. Just those 4 for now.

Once you have those 4 added, then go to YaST > Software > Software Manager, and change "filter" to search and search for "smplayer". Add smplayer. That will also pickup MPlayer as a dependency, and you are all set.

what do you mean by "make install breaks complaining there is no default skin"??? MPlayer by default does not come with a skin so you will have to download one and place it in /home/username/.mplayer/Skins and name it "default" or if this doesn't work, you should place it in /usr/local/share/mplayer/skin and name it "default"

make install will NOT break because there's no skin, it will only warn you

AFAIK Kaffeine already supports MPlayer.

Kaffeine supports Mplayer? Could you elaborate on that?
    http://stopsoftwarepatents.eu/
    Even if free software were ****, it should still get our preference over the non-free **** secreted by IT corporations.
    A free rephrasing of RMS

Kaffeine by default uses the xine-lib, though it also supports Gstreamer. It can, however, be extended to support mplayer using the KPart system

Quote Originally Posted by JosipBroz View Post
    Kaffeine supports Mplayer? Could you elaborate on that?
    I understand that Kaffeine is able to use the MPlayer backend.

Thank you all for contributions. I thought that in Mplayer source there is a default skin so I gues this is the source of my problem. But rather than compiling from source I'll try to install it via yast, which has no repository containing mplayer yet, but I'll add them and we'll see how it works out Thanks again.

Thank you all for contributions. I thought that in Mplayer source there is a default skin so I gues this is the source of my problem. But rather than compiling from source I'll try to install it via yast, which has no repository containing mplayer yet, but I'll add them and we'll see how it works out Thanks again.
    I personally prefer installation from sources. Use ./configure --enable-gui. Also use instructions in #3 to place default skin folder. also don't forget to place a font with name subfont.ttf. if make install fails, use make -ki install (Very bad use, but sometimes it works).