Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Quick Bittorrent Guide (with screenshots)

Default Re: A Quick Bittorrent Guide (with screenshots)

Even with the The openSuSE firewall turned off Vuze fails the NAT/Firewall test.

Port is properly forrwarded from LinkSyS router. I triple check that it had not changed at the Router. I used this computer with Azureus/Vuze before When I ran Mandriva Linux and it worked fine.
    The internal IP address hasn't changed and have been checked using ifconfig. What other paranoid security setting is there I have to configure so I can use bittorent again?

Blog Entries

Look at it logically. If you turned the firewall OFF - then the problem is even less complicated. Though I don't recommend leaving it like that.

In Vuze you have to set a tcp and a udp listen port
    open the same port in your router to your LAN IP and also open the same ports in the Suse firewall.

In the router -Make sure you have a fixed LAN IP assigned to your MAC and that you have it as a rule in the Firewall Rules before the default Out/Allow/Any - and the IN/Block/Any
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

It answer was pretty simple. I had run and configured KTorrent first in case I decided to use it at some time. KTorrent didn't release the port when it exited. so whenI shut KTorrent down the port was still not available. So there was no way Vuze/Azureus could use the port. The firewall/NAT test was failing from that. It had nothing to do with any other process or settings.

If you are running a router with a hardware firewall (packet filtering actually) running a firewall on your computer is redundant. It is a good idea but it is redundant.

Blog Entries

What is the situation for Monsoon (Gnome bittorrent client)

In the Preferences it has Listen Port = 34807. Does that mean that I enable UDP 34807 in Yast firewall and that I forward in my router UDP 34807 to the IP of my client. Or do I ignore that and use Carl's recommended 54000.

Next question: what TCP port do I forward through the router and allow in Yast firewall? Is it 34807 or is it Carls' recommended 59000 or something else.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Blog Entries

John, the 54000 range is a range used and recommended in some BT quarters, it's supposed to be better if your ISP uses control on default ports.
    Use whatever, well you know what I mean.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Look at it logically. If you turned the firewall OFF - then the problem is even less complicated. Though I don't recommend leaving it like that.

In Vuze you have to set a tcp and a udp listen port
    open the same port in your router to your LAN IP and also open the same ports in the Suse firewall.

In the router -Make sure you have a fixed LAN IP assigned to your MAC and that you have it as a rule in the Firewall Rules before the default Out/Allow/Any - and the IN/Block/Any
    UDP is only needed if you allow UDP trackers. You can just as well block UDP ports and only allow TCP trackers and you won't be missing much since 0.01% of all torrents use UDP only tracking, though the majority of trackers that offer UDP also offer TCP (as it's a requirement of the BitTorrent protocol) and virtually always on the same port so you'll only have to replace udp:// with http:// in the tracker's URL. Although UDP has a much lower overhead, puts less strain/load on the tracker server and is simpler than TCP, lots of torrent clients don't support it. TCP is also a bit more reliable than UDP when it comes to ratios updates. Also you can't restrict clients on the tracker side, while it's possible with TCP. There are a few other "negative" things about UDP trackers, like no support yet for IPv6 and a few others.

I should know. I run three open public torrent trackers and a tracker redirector, all running on Google's App Engine except but one of the trackers which runs on my own machine. I'm also part of the Trackon team - http://www.trackon.org/

Blog Entries

Thanks caf4926 & microchip8.

I thought about all that and in the wind up I went with the value that Monsoon seems to suggest, 34807, and forwarded tcp/udp for that to the client and through SuSEfirewall2 as well. And I ticked upnp in Monsoon's settings and the router. And the RC1 Gnome CD for 11.2 is nearly in the nest.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12