Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: apt-get: Command not found!

  1. #1
    SpiderPig NNTP User

    Unhappy apt-get: Command not found!

    Heys, I'm new to Suse, and im trying to install and fix a program trough the console, was going to go "sudo apt-get install build-essentials"
    But then the terminal said Apt-get:command not found, and then ive started to wonder, why does my Suse OS not have apt-get command installed by default?
    thats question number one, and number two is, how do i get it?

    Thanks
    //SpiderPig.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,491
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: apt-get: Command not found!

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderPig View Post
    ... im trying to install and fix a program trough the console, was going to go "sudo apt-get install build-essentials"
    But then the terminal said Apt-get:command not found, and then ive started to wonder, why does my Suse OS not have apt-get command installed by default?
    openSUSE has zypper instead:
    Zypper/Usage/11.0 - openSUSE

    Some openSUSE basic concepts:
    Concepts - openSUSE

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,326
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: apt-get: Command not found!

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderPig
    Heys, I'm new to Suse, and im trying to install and fix a program trough
    the console, was going to go "sudo apt-get install build-essentials"
    But then the terminal said Apt-get:command not found, and then ive
    started to wonder, why does my Suse OS not have apt-get command
    installed by default?
    thats question number one, and number two is, how do i get it?

    Thanks
    //SpiderPig.
    Hi
    openSUSE doesn't use apt-get (it is available I think??), it uses the
    zypper command. In this case you could select the base development
    patterns;
    Code:
    sudo zypper in -t pattern devel_basis
    Use the se option to see the full list,
    Code:
    zypper se -t pattern
    There are many more, see the man page

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-4-default
    up 1 day 10:14, 3 users, load average: 0.35, 0.34, 0.36
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.82


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,686
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: apt-get: Command not found!

    I tried that but on my Ubuntu machine it said:

    bash: zypper: command not found
    Oh dear, what's wrong?

    PS: It's a joke, ok?

    PPS: Actually I do now and then make the mistake of typing yum at OpenSUSE or rug at RHEL or any of a number of wrong combinations.

  5. #5

    Default Re: apt-get: Command not found!

    Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    I tried that but on my Ubuntu machine it said:



    Oh dear, what's wrong?

    PS: It's a joke, ok?

    PPS: Actually I do now and then make the mistake of typing yum at OpenSUSE or rug at RHEL or any of a number of wrong combinations.
    YaY!
    You made my day.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,686
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: apt-get: Command not found!

    BTW, I do have something useful to post, come to think of it. Distrowatch recently published a cheatsheet summarising the commands for all the major (and some minor) package managers. You can find it at

    DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

  7. #7
    SpiderPig NNTP User

    Default Re: apt-get: Command not found!

    Thanks for the help guys!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •