Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does TightVNC work in KDE4

Blog Entries

Default Does TightVNC work in KDE4

Hi. I have TightVNC installed. It works fine serving Gnome and KDE3.x Desktops. But if I try to serve a KDE4 desktop i just get a black page in the viewer on a windows or a Linux client.

I've tried two different computers as servers and two different computers as clients.

This server failure on KDE4 occurs in openSUSE 11.0 and 11.1 beta4 and 11.1RC1

Has anyone seen this problem or know of a solution or has a comment -- or any thoughts?

Thanks
    Swerdna
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Default Re: Does TightVNC work in KDE4

swerdna wrote:

>
    > Hi. I have TightVNC installed. It works fine serving Gnome and KDE3.x
    > Desktops. But if I try to serve a KDE4 desktop i just get a black page
    > in the viewer on a windows or a Linux client.
    >
    > I've tried two different computers as servers and two different
    > computers as clients.
    >
    > This server failure on KDE4 occurs in openSUSE 11.0 and 11.1 beta4 and
    > 11.1RC1
    >
    > Has anyone seen this problem or know of a solution or has a comment --
    > or any thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Swerdna
    >
    >

I was able to get TightVNC to work from openSUSE 11.0 with KDE 4.0.4 to openSUSE 11.0 4.1.3. I had no problem with it, but I did get a black screen when I first started it up but after it connected to the remote machine it went away. Maybe check your VNC settings on your machines.
    --
    "We must plan for freedom, and not only for security, if for no other reason than only freedom can make security more secure." Karl Popper

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vendion View Post
    swerdna wrote:

>
    > Hi. I have TightVNC installed. It works fine serving Gnome and KDE3.x
    > Desktops. But if I try to serve a KDE4 desktop i just get a black page
    > in the viewer on a windows or a Linux client.
    >
    > I've tried two different computers as servers and two different
    > computers as clients.
    >
    > This server failure on KDE4 occurs in openSUSE 11.0 and 11.1 beta4 and
    > 11.1RC1
    >
    > Has anyone seen this problem or know of a solution or has a comment --
    > or any thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Swerdna
    >
    >

I was able to get TightVNC to work from openSUSE 11.0 with KDE 4.0.4 to openSUSE 11.0 4.1.3. I had no problem with it, but I did get a black screen when I first started it up but after it connected to the remote machine it went away. Maybe check your VNC settings on your machines.
    --
    "We must plan for freedom, and not only for security, if for no other reason than only freedom can make security more secure." Karl Popper
    Thanks.

The only adjustable settings that I'm aware of are firewall ports and the TightVNC startup script (xstartup) located in directory $HOME/.vnc/

My xstartup file contains this:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/kwin &
    /usr/bin/startkde &
    What does yours contain? And what other "settings" might I adjust to get the same settings as you have?

I'm curious about TightVNC here, because I have tried to get this to work together with Ubuntu, but I have never ever been able to get this to work.

I downloaded the sourcecode and compiled, but I remember that I was unsuccesful in getting this to work correctly.

Do anyone in this thread know which packages I would need in order to be able to get this program to work?

The hardware platform which was involved was: AMD64 X2.

IIRC there is only one RPM package for tightvnc with comes with the tightvnc server and viewer programs.

All I use option wise with the viewer is -x11cursor everything else I is the vnc viewer default, and my vnc server is the default (YaST -> Network Services -> Remote Administration (VNC)) and it works. I also tell it to use a certain screen rather than the port number.

Blog Entries

IIRC there is only one RPM package for tightvnc with comes with the tightvnc server and viewer programs.

All I use option wise with the viewer is -x11cursor everything else I is the vnc viewer default, and my vnc server is the default (YaST -> Network Services -> Remote Administration (VNC)) and it works. I also tell it to use a certain screen rather than the port number.
    What's in the file $HOME/.vnc/xstartup? Maybe I've got it wrong in there?

I don't have a ~/.vnc/xstartup on any of my machines and VNC works fine, I searched all users $HOME and even in /root.

Blog Entries

I don't have a ~/.vnc/xstartup on any of my machines and VNC works fine, I searched all users $HOME and even in /root.
    Then it's not the TightVNC implementation of VNC. Remote Administration activates one of the six VNC implementations in the xinetd GUI in Yast, the first one (5901 port, desktop :1), which uses the executable /usr/bin/Xvnc. TightVNC is a slightly different implementation. It might be that it has seen its sun set since it is no longer usable in windows (vista) and looks to be unusable in KDE4.

The viewer part of TightVNC does work in KDE4 and Windows Vista, had to use it before so I know it works, the server part of it may not work but you can use the viewer with the xinetd implementation of VNC which is what I do.

Blog Entries

The viewer part of TightVNC does work in KDE4 and Windows Vista, had to use it before so I know it works, the server part of it may not work but you can use the viewer with the xinetd implementation of VNC which is what I do.
    Yes. The viewer works fine.

I want to stay with TightVNC as the server implementation of VNC -- but I don't think I can because it doesn't work so far in KDE4 -- so I'll now look at Xvnc (which seems to be in the RPM xorg-X11-Xvnc) and at x11vnc (which exports the running window like in ms windows).

Pity, TightVNC was good, up there with UltraVnc which Suse doesn't have. Oh well, another opensource bites the dust.

Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast