Problems Running Compiz Fusion on Radeon Mobility 9000

I am having problems configuring Compiz Fusion on my Dell D600. I have installed compiz and attempted to install the ATI driver, but it seems to have issues with my laptop’s graphics card chipset. I have tried using the Open-Source driver (R250 or something), but this does not work either. When I use the open source driver with 3d acceleration enabled, compiz claims it is running, but does nothing.

seems to be an XGL problem because my chipset is listed as poorly supported.

Is there anything I can do, I would really like to run compiz on my laptop.

HCL/ATI Video Cards - openSUSE

couldn’t see 9000
check the howto as well

I tried the how to on Novels website. I have used the one click installed the ATI driver from the oneclick install and manually, it doesn’t seem to work. According to ATI’s website, “http://ati.amd.com/online/rss/atilinuxdriver.rss?OTC-rssfeedlinux” It seems they dropped support for my chipset. The oldest card there is a MRadeon 9600. And the OpenSuse XGL site lists my hardware as “Problematic”
Problematic Hardware

Hardware with known glitches or incompatibilities:

* ATI
          o Mobility Radeon M6 LY (7000), Mobility Radeon M9 (9000) and Mobility Radeon M9+ (9200)
            Drawing artifacts and occasional flickering.
          o Radeon 9200
            No hardware acceleration using fglrx 8.22.5 driver
          o Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE), Driver: "fglrx_pci", XGL works but the 2D/3D files will not work propely(2D/3D games,full screen videos, etc.)
          o Some older Radeon chipsets have been shown to work with very reduced performance with the open source drivers on SLED10 
    * Intel
          o i855GM
            Works, but effects are overall very slow.
          o i815, i845
            Too old, Xgl works, but compiz will not work. Maybe a compatibility layer will be added later. 

http://en.opensuse.org/Xgl

I also tried installing the latest version of XGL, this didn’t seem to help and actually caused my display to freeze. So I reconfigured, disabled XGL and am now using the open source RV250 Lf open source driver, but this doesn’t seem to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help – John

Does anyone have any information?

anything?

I don’t know what oneclicks you have installed but they may need removing or at least the repo’s they will have added.

See if you have this repo
Index of /repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_11.0

if not - add it and then update the packages in it via software management, filter by repo

Here is a list of my repos:

• Reading repository ‘openSUSE BuildService - X11: XGL’ cache
  • Reading repository ‘Main Repository (OSS)’ cache
  • Reading repository ‘VideoLan Repository’ cache
  • Reading repository ‘Main Update Repository’ cache
  • Reading repository ‘openSUSE-10.3-OSS-KDE 10.3’ cache
  • Reading repository ‘openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Backports’ cache
  • Reading repository ‘openSUSE BuildService - Wine CVS Builds’ cache
  • Reading repository ‘Packman Repository’ cache
  • Reading repository ‘ATI Repository’ cache
  • Reading repository ‘openSUSE BuildService - OpenOffice.org’ cache
  • Reading repository ‘Main Repository (NON-OSS)’ cache

I attempted to install the ATI driver via onelcick and from zypper. Both failed and have been completely removed. Compiz was also installed from Oneclick and XGL was updated but when enabled causes the screen to stop updating, unless i switched between init levels.

I suspect that compiz is going to cause issues, especially running the full blown compiz from the XGL repo.
The repo I gave you earlier will update the Xorg packages and may improve performance of your chipset.

Personally, I use kde4 unstable beta 4.2 and just have the kwin window manager with the kde4 desktop effects. It’s not quite like the ‘bells and whistles’ of compiz true, but it performs brilliantly on my 2 machines.

openSUSE Forums - View Single Post - ATI Radeon 9000 - Desktop Effects not working