Thread: Problem with Virtualbox on openSUSE 11 x86_64

Dixie17 NNTP User

Default Problem with Virtualbox on openSUSE 11 x86_64

I am fairly new to openSUSE and I wanted to set up a virtual machine to run Windows XP. As I had used VirtualBox on Windows and was familiar with it, I decided to give it a try.

I am running openSUSE 11 x86_64 KDE 4, so I downloaded the appropriate rpm (VirtualBox-2.0.6_39765_openSUSE11-1.x86_64.rpm) from the VirtualBox website and installed it with no problem.

I started it up and created a virtual machine and again had no problems. Then when I went to run the virtual machine I got the two following error messages:

I then did as suggested and tried to re-setup the kernel by executing the command displayed in the above error message and got the following results:

So I then went and viewed the log as instructed which contained the following:

/usr/share/virtualbox/src/build_in_tmp: line 99: make: command not found

I have no idea what this means and have searched for a while to find an answer but I am completely stuck. I appreciate any help that can be given.

Many Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Problem with Virtualbox on openSUSE 11 x86_64

check the steps here:
    VirtualBox Installation - openSUSE
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

When using the PUEL version from the VirtualBox download site, you need to compile the vboxdrv module. This requires extra packages to be installed, and these are:

make, gcc, kernel-source, pam-devel

I think that's the list. Anyway if something is missing the log file will tell you what else is needed. The kernel-source package must match in version with the running kernel. So you should have the updates repository enabled and install using YaST.

I believe there's a howto on the OpenSUSE wiki about this.

Dixie17 NNTP User

Thanks for the help, that resolved the problem.

However I cannot set my resolution on the guest machine higher than 1024x768. My resolution on the host is 1400x900 as I have a widescreen monitor. I have installed the guest additions, but I only have two options 800x600 and 1024x768. Does any know if it is possible to have a resolution of 1400x900 on a Windows XP guest machine.

Blog Entries

Yes to 1400x900 it works fine.
    Here is a screen of mine
    Imagep guest in VBox Seamless Mode.jpeg - openSUSE

I have trouble getting it to work sometimes in Linux guests.

What happens when you select seemless?

Try the tabs across the top of the main GUI, the first one I think, there are screen options, choose 'adjust window size' - now hit the maximize button top right of the GUI. It gives me XP over the whole window.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below