Thread: Can SUSE Linux mount ufs/ufs2 rw exec?

Default Can SUSE Linux mount ufs/ufs2 rw exec?

Does anyone know any method to make open Suse to mount usfs2 (unix file system2) with read write exec access? Near a decade ago, there was Caldera-SCO open Linux 2.2.x kernel which I could recompile on its libc5 platform to gain shared access to common place unix, BSD and Solaris and visa versa with native mode read-write exec mount. Beside text editor Crisp many games like Doom and Abuse or sound file like mp3 could be stored and run from shared ufs2 file system partition to save storage space (ext2, ext3 and ufs are close sisters all derived from ffs of ATT-BSD Unix, now Linux got more complex inodes to support more features i.e, block size variables). Are such becoming the things of past? Beside Server and Desktop use, I know some of you are using Linux as Universal system management OS to manage Windows. But I do not hear about managing Unix. This morning, I ordered a newest Debian DVD set and hoping to see some source files to support unix file systems. After my 5 years of ignorance to new technologies such as ext3, udev, ATA133, SATA and SAS, I am trying very hard to catch up after having bought a Dell Dimension Dual Core SATA II system recently.

Whilst I am quite satisfied by open Suse 11. I even consider Suse 11 over Fedora 9. I want to point out that its install routine should not panic when it sees over 15 partitions on one or more drive. I care less about being able to mount partition above 15th but it should not complain and abort installation. Now days, Debian Linux, Sun Solaris, open BSD care less about any existing partitions and install successfully. So why not make it possible on the next Suse? I had to set up a cheap dummy disk and later moved partitions using GPareEd from sourceforge.net then edited /etc/fstab. What a detour had I have to take? System originally had two Velociraptors 10000RPM WD3000BLFS drives that are rather pricey and I could not afford to buy one more for using as a dummy drive to just fool Install scripts.

Linux and Unix always benefit from splitting file systems over multiple drives, particularly swap and /tmp on other drive as minimal. Even on Windoze, I rewrite registry to achieve same thing as unix. Combined multiboot environment naturally increases the numbers of partitions per disk.
    NTFS partition over 64GB, FAT32 partition over 32GB both slow down file access time dramatically plus I do not trust any OS that shares /tmp, /cache with OS core and libraries in the same partition anyway.

I thank you for your time.

Pinecloud

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can SUSE Linux mount ufs/ufs2 rw exec?

If you read the history of UFS aka BFFS or FFS, you will see that there is no such thing as a standard UFS. Vendors each took it in slightly different directions. In fact it was the proprietary nature of Unix that allowed it to fragment.

Unix File System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Linux was written from scratch and while the design of ext2 was influenced by UFS, the kernel has no code derived from Unix. (That was in fact what SCO was trying to falsely claim.) So the success mounting UFS would depend on the particular flavour, and is never quite full.

Perhaps you should run one of the *BSDs, maybe it will give you better results.

Even if you did get it to mount, you would still have issues with executable formats, system calls, libraries, etc. There used to be a compatibility layer, what was it called, iBCS or something like that, I think that's what you had in mind. I have no idea how well it works or what the state of maintenance is these days.

Linux owes its design to Unix, but Linux is not Unix. The features inherited from Unix are elements like the HFS, the permission system, the device as file concept, the SUID bit, the API, the use of C as the system language, and of course the many applications.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can SUSE Linux mount ufs/ufs2 rw exec?

Quote Originally Posted by pinecloud View Post
    Whilst I am quite satisfied by open Suse 11. I even consider Suse 11 over Fedora 9. I want to point out that its install routine should not panic when it sees over 15 partitions on one or more drive. I care less about being able to mount partition above 15th but it should not complain and abort installation.
    This was possible, until openSUSE-10.3, I believe. At that time Novell/SuSE-GmbH decided to adopt libata for hard drives, and with that came a 15 partition limitation.

I guess no one in the user community complained enough against this limitation.

You could try writing a bug report on this, if you don't like it, to see if you can influence the community away from the community accepted 15 partition limitation.