Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who think GIMP or Krita are unusable?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Am I the only one who think GIMP or Krita are unusable?

Quote Originally Posted by beli0135 View Post
    I didn't know about that. I will see if this improves my handling.
    In case you did not google on this, there is a good description on the gimpshop home page:
    GIMPshop.com - A GIMP hack by Scott Moschella

Again, I now like the gimp interface, and find the photoshop counter intutive. But I'm not an advanced user, a lot boils down to what one is used to.

xara is pretty good works with vectors and bitmaps

Geoff
    Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz, 8GB DDR2, 3.5TB, GeForce 9600 GT, Amilo LCD 26", OS 11.1 x86_64, KDE4.2.4 (2)
    My wine tips & tricks

well, Gimpshop, on the image, has menus similar to photoshop, though shortcuts are not the same. Most of the things are done gimp way, but ultimately, far more friendly then standard gimp.
    Hmm... I think I will have to investigate. There must be some software... or run photoshop from WINE

Photoshop in wine is a solution but the latest versions don't work yet but cs2 works very well.

Geoff
    Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz, 8GB DDR2, 3.5TB, GeForce 9600 GT, Amilo LCD 26", OS 11.1 x86_64, KDE4.2.4 (2)
    My wine tips & tricks

Looks like if you design a hammer that can strike the nail only upwards.

Thats exactly what photoshop and other proprietary programs are, hammers that can only be swung one way. One Way and one way only.

The Gimp on the other hand being open source can be swung up, down, sideways.......................

Really sucks when those proprietary application/software companies achieve their goal of locking you into "one way" of doing things to the point that you will never conceive that their are other and better ways to do things.

For instance why can't photoshop be changed to behave like other applications, because I don't like the photoshop way of doing things.

The Gimp on the other hand can be made into whatever you want if you wish to change it. For instance gimpshop. PackMan :: Package details for gimpshop

Biased Observer NNTP User

> Am I the only one?

I find all versions of Photoshop TOTALLY illogical, unfriendly and therefore
    unusable!

So, should I go to Adobe's fora and suggest they throw it out and clone GIMP?

Read "Linux is not Windows" <http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm> and think
    about where you are (and how much you PAY to be here).

Remember, if you do not like GIMP the way it is you are FREE to fork it and make
    it exactly the way YOU want it--try that with Photoshop.

Free and open are a big words. (It can even be used to say: If you do not like
    the open framework of GIMP you are free to use Photoshop...but, you have to PAY
    to use it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Biased Observer View Post
    Read "Linux is not Windows" <http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm> and think
    about where you are (and how much you PAY to be here).
    First... this thread has nothing to do with Windows vs Linux. It's a question into the UI of the Gimp, and Photoshop happens to be a comparison. Just because it happens to be a windows app, does not warrant the knee-jerk Windows-Vs-*nix debate.

Remember, if you do not like GIMP the way it is you are FREE to fork it and make
    it exactly the way YOU want it--try that with Photoshop.
    You hear this misguided line of thinking thrown around a lot. It's probably the least meaningful argument you can use. Not every person is a developer, whereas the majority are simply the end-users. Telling the typical user "Go write your own" is just plain dumb.

Many many projects do well because they design based on the end-user's needs. And many more fail because they don't.

Free and open are a big words. (It can even be used to say: If you do not like
    the open framework of GIMP you are free to use Photoshop...but, you have to PAY
    to use it.)
    Just because a project is free and open does not necessarily mean the project devs can't listen to requests from their userbase. The Gimp UI debate has been loud for quite some time. And it's only happened recently that the Gimp team has finally come to accept that perhaps their UI isn't all that intuitive or easy to use, and has actually taken steps to form a team devoted exclusively to redesigning the UI.

Actually there is a way of getting involved without any programming skills
    GIMP UI brainstorm
    EDIT this one looks cool

Geoff
    My wine tips & tricks

My intention was not to create flame, I am sorry if there are some people that look on the topic like that.
    Simply, I thought I was out of the picture, but I am, fortunately, not.

Well, as I said, I will try to find some alternatives. If someone remembers one, please post

Did you check out the link in my first post?

Geoff
    If someone remembers one, please post
    My wine tips & tricks

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast