suggestion -- suse start page

I think it would be really nice to have a start page to go with opensuse, the default start page with the download and stuff is nice but the search is only within suse. It would be cool to have a google search like the firefox start page or the ubuntu 8.10 one

http://www.google.com/firefox
http://start.ubuntu.com/8.10/

but the ubuntu one isnt as prettyful, and doesnt have the images, mail, etc… at the top of the page…
it couldn’t be too hard to make a page like this right?
or is there already one that i have failed to find?

I understand where you are coming from:
NEWBIES - Suse-11.0 Pre-installation – PLEASE READ - openSUSE Forums

Unfortunately, usually people only arrive at the forum after the event. The event being some mishap or other. But you do have a point. Maybe we should have a big flashing heading “I’m New Here and I need Help”

actually what the person is suggesting is a personalised Google Search page, like the two examples they gave in their post

Oh. I see.

So what is that google search bar I have in my browser. There is really no difference.

or

If you see an error message referred to in a post, just highlight the critical part, right click and select search with google.

some people like to have google as a home page. And I can actually see that his suggestion could be of use to OpenSUSE users who like to have google as a home page to log into email, groups, and all the other things people use google for.

If you test the link codes xskills123x gave you will see…

Geoff

• geoffro wrote, On 12/04/2008 09:56 AM:
    > If you test the link codes xskills123x gave you will see…

Okay, I don’t get it. What’s the use? It’s just a Google search dialog with some brandings around it, right?

Uwe

Just the point I was making!

Because some people, like the original poster like to have google as their home page, so that they can access the Google features like gmail, groups, etc, etc that they use

The reason for a personalised OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Firefox, what ever is simply to get the name out there and advertise it more.

Perhaps look at it from a user’s point like the person above, instead of your own pov

I use Google as my home page, use gmail etc… But I collect gmail via a FF extension.

So if this Google feature was a part of the forums front page - does it display your Google info such as mail?

i dont think that person suggestion is for it to be part of the forums, but the start page for for firefox, for the homepage for anyone that wants to set it as such. Don’t know, the OP seems to not be posting any more here.

• AlienHealer,

okay, so why not create a local HTML page then?

Uwe

i just didnt really have a reason to post back :slight_smile: seemed to be active.
even just putting a Google search on the original start page would be nice, (except it wouldn’t make much sense since it’s also where you go to download suse lol) but yeah i was hoping something more like firefox start page
it could be like start.opensuse.org or opensuse.org/start