trouble with kbluetooth4

I run kbluetooth 4 and nothing happens, no icon in taskbar, no nothing. If I run it again I get “kbluetooth4 is running” but that’s the only indication I can find that it is.

can someone offer a newbie a little guidance here?

I’ve followed every thread even remotely related and followed every suggestion offered with no luck. I see lots of references to things I can do once kbluetooth starts, but they all involve going to the bluetooth icon in the taskbar as the first step. If there’s no icon, and I can find no mention of bluetooth anywhere in the start menus, I don’t know what to try next.

The Pc is a Toshiba laptop. The function keys appear to be working, so I’ve tried pressing fn-f8 to activate the bluetooth but can’t see any affect from that. (works to turn b’tooth on/off in windows tho).

openSuse 11.0, KDE 4.1, Toshiba x205-9359 (hcitools doesn’t list any b’tooth device)

• caprus,

the KDE stuff in KDE seems seriously broken. I didn’t get it to work, neither in 11.0 nor in 11.1.
This is filed under “to be investigated when everything else is done” here, though. Did you check bugzilla.novell.com?

Uwe

I do have a minor update to report. I discovered that Bluetooth is present and “working” when logged in as root, however when I try to connect to a device it does so and only holds the connection for 2 to 3 seconds before disconnecting again. I will check the bug reports, thanx

Sorry to hear you couldn’t get it going in 11.1. That was going to be my next experiment.

• caprus wrote, On 12/05/2008 02:56 PM:

> Sorry to hear you couldn’t get it going in 11.1. That was going to be
> my next experiment.

Go ahead. Your mileage may vary, and a bug report against 11.1 has a better chance of getting fixed.

Uwe

I too will file this under “to be investigated when everything else is done here”, since the Dec 18 release date is only 12 days away. At that time I’ll update and try again. I will post here at that time and let you know how I make out.

You asked “Did you check bugzilla.novell.com?”

I did check and very quickly confirmed that you and I are hardly the only ones with problems with Bluetooth! Oh well if that’s the worst of our problems life is still pretty good.

• caprus wrote, On 12/05/2008 10:06 PM:

> I did check and very quickly confirmed that you and I are hardly the
> only ones with problems with Bluetooth! Oh well if that’s the worst of
> our problems life is still pretty good.

For now, let’s just enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling we’re not alone <G>

Uwe

I think I’m also having similar issues. I don’t see the bluetooth monitor in the tray. If I manually run kinputwizard, I can see the device. Pressing “connect” does nothing, just down then up on the button. Nada. I’m using open suse 11.0 (not .1).

OK, I’ve now updated to 11.1 (I know OldCPU said fresh install would be better, but I just couldn’t resist being contrary), and in general the few problems I encountered were easily resolved, however the Bluetooth adapter is still simply ballast for a small corner of the motherboard that might float away with out the extra mass.