Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to rename batches of pictures in Konqueror?

Default How to rename batches of pictures in Konqueror?

Does anyone have a good tip for how to rename batches of pictures easily in Konqueror?

I've installed KRename, but it's pretty cumbersome to have to chose "Action > Rename using KRename" with every batch (and then having to wait until the application is started, etc.) And Konqueror unfortunately doesn't support renaming of multiple files. (I'm aware that Dolphin does, but since I'm mostly using Konqueror I'd like to stick to one application).

Best,

homoludens

Default Re: How to rename batches of pictures in Konqueror?

Tried Gwenview ? it supports batch renaming

Andy
    To be is to do = Immanuel Kant
    To do is to be = Descartes.
    Do be do be do = Frank Sinatra

SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, Gwenview is pretty useful. It's too bad that the plugin 'batch rename' doesn't allow more detailed customization, though (I would like to rename files with numbers in brackets, like so: "picture (1).jpg", in line with Windows' renaming scheme ... ) Oh, well, not that important ...

Cheers,

homoludens

Near Brussels, Belgium N50 50.394 E4 29.462

On Monday 15 December 2008 03:26, homoludens1000 wrote:

> Thanks for the tip. Yeah, Gwenview is pretty useful. It's too bad that
    > the plugin 'batch rename' doesn't allow more detailed customization,
    > though (I would like to rename files with numbers in brackets, like so:
    > "picture (1).jpg", in line with Windows' renaming scheme ... ) Oh, well,
    > not that important ...

What is Windows's renaming scheme?
    Perhaps there is another tool, but please give soem more details or
    examples.

--
    There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying.
    The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
    Douglas Adams

Batch renaming under Windows is simple but does the job in my opinion. You can mark several files, chose rename, and then they are renamed subsequently to <new-name (#).typ> (where # is a number that starts from the value you have chosen and increase by +1 per file, and .typ is the file type).

Gwenview's batch rename unfortuntely doesn't allow formating the number. KRename does, but it's cumbersome to have to restart it with every renaming job.

Cheers,

homoludens

I wrestled with this problem recently. Finally realized that file renaming was best done in bash, not via the GUI. Also, picture preprocessing was best done in bash, not in one of the picture editors. Code:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    ## D90 image sizes: 4288x2848, 3216x2136, 2144x1424. Resize to 1072x712.
    SUBDIR="display"

## Subdirectory exists? If not, create it.

if [ ! -d ./$SUBDIR ]; then mkdir ./$SUBDIR; fi

shopt -s nocaseglob    # Case-insensitive matching
        for f in *.jpg
            do
            convert -unsharp 0x.6  -resize 1072x712  $f ./$SUBDIR/$f
            done

## Go to subdirectory. Change the file names, add suffix "a".
        cd ./$SUBDIR
        for file in *.jpg
            do
            mv "$file" "${file%.jpg}"a.jpg
            done

echo "Done ..."
    HTH

tcubed_bus, thanks a lot for the code, I might make use of it.

But isn't using bash a bit cumbersome, given that you don't know exactly what is in the pictures you are displaying? It seems to be that your way works well for small batches, but say you want to download your most recent 200 pictures from your digicam, browse through them and rename them according to, for example, the place you took the pictures, you would have to switch back and forth between Dolphin/Konqueror/Gwenview and CLI. Plus, you would have to remember the names of the files to rename ...

Cheers,

homoludens

Quote Originally Posted by homoludens1000 View Post
    tcubed_bus, thanks a lot for the code, I might make use of it.

But isn't using bash a bit cumbersome, given that you don't know exactly what is in the pictures you are displaying? It seems to be that your way works well for small batches, but say you want to download your most recent 200 pictures from your digicam, browse through them and rename them according to, for example, the place you took the pictures, you would have to switch back and forth between Dolphin/Konqueror/Gwenview and CLI. Plus, you would have to remember the names of the files to rename ...

Cheers,

homoludens
    homoludens:
    Of course, a bash script can do only a textual renaming, such as appending a fixed string or something like a date_time_count string to a filename. Only you would know to alter the name to "Ted_and_Susie_June_2009_eiffel_tower.jpg", or some such, more meaningful, title.

I would argue, though, that the batch rename, resize, and sharpen script I offered has a great real-world utility, precisely in those cases where you find yourself faced with the task of editing the day's shoot of 500 images. For one thing, just transferring such a load into an editing program takes a lot of time. An automated way of sticking the files into a regular directory can ease the first-order culling task, after which you can fire up the photo edit application and polish up the keepers.

As for the meaningful names, this is a classic problem, one that is addressed by the "photo album" applications, and their tagging mechanism. In such a practice, you retain the dsc_1234.jpg filename, and add tags like "Ted", "Susie", "Honeymoon", "Paris", etc., to distinguish the files. It's not a perfect mechanism, but it is far less cumbersome than the runon renaming syndrome that one can find one's picture directories suffering from otherwise. SuSE's digikam is a good example of a photo album app, that has a decent tagging capability. Like a lot of such apps, though, digikam forces you to import all your pics into its "album" structure, even though it looks an awful lot like a plain old directory copy.
    Photo postprocessing workflow is a fascinating topic, but a little far afield from the original one of batch file renaming.
    HTH

Oh Mi NNTP User

> Dolphin/Konqueror/Gwenview and CLI. Plus, you would have to remember the
    > names of the files to rename ...

I think you need to introduce yourself to digiKam, it is in the SUSE
    repositories and it will help you download (from the camera) and manage all your
    photos. Including, if you click on Batch > Rename Images you get a window where
    you can set prefix string, number start value, and add the original file name
    and date (or not).

Have a look, it is pretty slick and I _think_ can do almost all (if not all)
    that Windows (or Dolphin/Konqueror/Gwenview and CLI) can, in one tidy package.

And, the price is RIGHT!

Hi,

instead of a bash script you can also use krename to rename all you photos/files. It also offers the possibility to execute commands on the files for example you can use ImageMagick to apply some changes to you photos.

Hope this helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast