kde4-kweather

Yast says kde4-kweather is installed but there doesn’t appear to by a start menu icon or any way to add an applet to my desktop.

Just how do I get kde4-kweather to work on openSuSE 11, running kde 4.1.3?

It’s a widget for the desktop.

Geoff

So, in addition to already having kweather installed, I have to download and install a widget? If so, where do I get this widget from?

Unlock the desktop
Right click - select add widgets
a box pops up - it’s in there

No, it’s not there. That was the first place I looked when I became interested in adding the widget to my desktop.

I’ve used countless factory builds of kde 4.x and none of them provided me with the ability to add a desktop widget.

you have to add the community repo for 4.1.3 if thats the version your running and you should be able to browse the repo and find and add the plasmoids you want

kweather is different than the plasmoid-weather.

Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Community/openSUSE_11.0_KDE4_Factory_Desktop

there are two, depending on what you want. KDE4-plasmoid-weather, is just that the current weather. The other one, KDE4-plasmoid-weatherforecast, gives the current weather and the forecast for the next day.

PS: I have never gotten kweather to work right for me, even in KDE 3.5.x.

KDE4-plasmoid-weatherforecast does not show up in a search using the repo you provided. The other one doesn’t appear to be configurable for my region.

I believe that what you’re looking for is called “plasmoid-weatherforcast”.

It should have a configuration dialog. You set it the zip-code you’re in, if you’re in the U.S. If you’re not in the U.S., you need to go to:

Yahoo! Weather

There’s a box on that page labeled “Enter city or zip code”. Search for the city you’re interested in, say Buenos Aires. The page you end up on has an URL looking like this:

Buenos Aires Weather Forecasts on Yahoo! Weather

To configure the plasmoid, enter the last part except for the .html part in the configure plasmoid dialog. In this example it would be ARBA0009

Works perfectly! Thanks.

The default icon theme is a bit bland. Are other icon themes available and how do I install them?

this is th only other one that I know:

Weather Plasmoid KDE-Look.org

Scroll down the screen and look for “weather icon best icon theme” and download it. It will work for both the weather and weather-forecast plasmoids.

Once you download it just click the wrench on the plasmoid bar and then at the bottom is the icon theme. Just browse and point to the download location.

I appreciate your assistance, cybertaz. Thanks!

Your welcome!