Difficulty in logging in to forum

Of late it has been very difficult to log in a stay logged in to this forum.
I contacted admin for this web site and told to clear cookies, which I did and it helped for a short while. I use firefox and have no exceptions for cookies. When I log in I get a message “your old browser does not support a 302 redirect” I use firefox 3.04 !! I tried using Konqueror and I get the same problem. I have the same problems on my home desktop.
I love using suse, but the forum accessability is hopeless. I think the designers of this forum are too security conscious. What it does is chase away prospective members, and suse gets the reputation of being unfriendly. What upset me a bit is the comment by Joe in this link Tectonic » Novell makes itself even harder to trust

302 redirect
This happens with some browsers and settings if you are actually following an old url, maybe the old forum url, which has a redirect in place
make sure you have the correct url
http://forums.opensuse.org/

I have issues with being logged out frequently - for no reason. No answers.

It really is bad - I am logged in on one page and not the next.I go back and I am logged in.
This is the message I get when I log in :
Content-Length: 128 Pragma: no-cache Location: https://forums.opensuse.org/ICSLogin/?"http://forums.opensuse.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1896774" Connection: close
Your old browser does not support a 302 Redirect.

It took me about 30 mins to get in to make my original post.
This is on 2 totally separate (different location) desktops.
I have not had any problem with a forum anywhere else.
I have just tried to post this message - and I am logged in at the top of the page, yet it calls for me to login again - which I did and it comes up with error as listed above.
I’ll try again

On 2008-11-17 08:56:01 -0500, Alastairo
<Alastairo@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> said:

>
> It really is bad - I am logged in on one page and not the next.I go back
> and I am logged in.
> This is the message I get when I log in :
> -Content-Length: 128 Pragma: no-cache Location:
> https://forums.opensuse.org/ICSLogin/?"http://forums.opensuse.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1896774"
Connection:
>
> close
> Your old browser does not support a 302 Redirect.-
> It took me about 30 mins to get in to make my original post.
> This is on 2 totally separate (different location) desktops.
> I have not had any problem with a forum anywhere else.
> I have just tried to post this message - and I am logged in at the top
> of the page, yet it calls for me to login again - which I did and it
> comes up with error as listed above.
> I’ll try again

Since we have hundreds of folks accessing the forums with Firefox 3,
I’d suspect an extension. Try disabling any extensions you have running
and see what happens.

As for the security of the site, we’re hosted by Novell, and their
security policies govern site parameters like session time outs.

Keith Kastorff

This happens to me as well, quite regularly, and with no apparent reason for it. I have tried clearing cookies etc and that sometimes works, but not always.

I would think it was something to do with the firewall at university as I am accessing this from home (static network v dynamic), but I can get the problem on either network.

Like alastairo, I’m using Firefox. I’m not aware of any extensions which I could disable to make things work better.

I’ll finish now - this is my second attempt to put a post up, the last time I got booted out and couldn’t log back in…302 error again…

Can anyone help?

> Like alastairo, I’m using Firefox. I’m not aware of any extensions
> which I could disable to make things work better.

Just temporarily disable all extensions to see.

Tools > Add-ons > Disable (as many times as necessary) > Restart Firfox

and then try the forum again.

Thanks for the suggestion - however, when I check the Extensions, I don’t have any installed.

Also, as the problem is intermittent, how would I know when I’d solved it…?

I’ll keep trying…although I have to say that this is working better at home without the Uni proxies/firewalls. As I posted earlier, this has only recently become a problem. Have any updates been applied which could have made the difference?

Anyone else other than alastairo and me having difficulties?

Well I have managed to get onto the forum again.
This is my reply to Aussieguy who sent me a pm about the problem.
What I had to do was change the proxy setting in firefox.
It was configured in Edit, Preferences,Advanced, Network tab, settings. Was configured to “no proxy” and I changed it to “dsl-cache.saix.net” port # 8080. This is for south africa and users of saix (south african internet exchange).
Maybe you can contact your isp and they can help.
It is to do with shaped dsl.
Alastair

Excellent, glad you got it sorted & thanks for posting the answer

Andy

Just to add to this. Yesterday 1st Dec. I had all my PC’s with all browsers throw a wobbly trying to login. Unfortunately I didn’t copy the error down. It was a re-direct/cookie error.

I just cleared all cookies. That sorted it. Bit of pain really.

Still get the random requests to login again, when I’m already logged in.

it happens with me sometimes, but no worries, takes all but a few seconds to log back in, I’m easy.

I was watching Extreme Home Make Over last night. A Father that died from cancer, relatively quickly, within 6 months, leaving behind his four children and wife. He had a saying when he was fighting the cancer

“there are lots of things to think about, but nothing to worry about”

It’s easy to log back in, nothing worth worrying about

I’ve just started getting the same ‘redirect/cookie’ error. Of course, deleting the cookies works, but why the sudden change in behaviour?

Since last night, I’ve got the same problem. First it happened only with opera, but since a few hours with firefox as well. Firefox says:

Umleitungsschleife
Die aufgerufene Website leitet die Anfrage so um, dass sie nie beendet werden kann.

First, I thought that you don’t like me no more in the openSUSE forums and someone locked me out. So I went to read uncyclopedia and found that Linux “is the only operating system which allows one to engage in OS wars with people who use the same operating system” http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Linux . When I remembered that post on “Let’s invade Ubuntu forums” I suddenly realized that this may be an invasion of the opensuse forums by my ubuntu-affine flatmates . Don’t you think? :wink:

This was mine Yesterday and today 2nd Dec:

Redirect Loop

Redirection limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested page. This may be caused by cookies that are blocked.

The browser has stopped trying to retrieve the requested item. The site is

redirecting the request in a way that will never complete.

*  Have you disabled or blocked cookies required by this site?
*  NOTE: If accepting the site's cookies does not resolve the problem, it is probably a server configuration
    issue and not your computer.

Mine is in Dutch

Oneindige lus

Firefox heeft vastgesteld dat de server het verzoek voor dit adres doorverwijst op een manier die nooit zal eindigen.

De browser is gestopt met pogen het opgevraagde item op te halen. De website verwijst het verzoek door op een manier die nooit zal worden voltooid.

* Hebt u cookies die nodig zijn voor deze website uitgeschakeld of geblokkeerd?
    * NOOT: als het accepteren van cookies van deze website het probleem niet oplost is het waarschijnlijk een serverconfiguratieprobleem en niet uw computer.

I’ve been getting that non stop for the last few days… also using firefox.

Posting this from Googles Chrome browser atm as a workaround.

I have a feeling that this problem is going to get worse What I have done, by enabling a manual proxy is a work around. It is possible that it is due to the newest firefox, as I had the latest updated ff, but when I went back down, it didn’t help. I would like to urge that Novell to look into this problem, as opensuse forum falls under their umbrella. It appears to be related to ichain.

Maybe check this thread and this reply in particular
Login error - happened again! - openSUSE Forums