Thread: Closed windows remain in taskbar under KDE4+Compiz

Hybrid View

Default Closed windows remain in taskbar under KDE4+Compiz

Howdy,

My title states the problem: I have openSuSE 11.0, with KDE4.1 and Compiz, very pretty, on my HP Pavillion dv9205us (4GB RAM, nVidia w/ 256M).
    When I close an app, its name stays in the taskbar. Right click yields a menu, although nothing happens if I click a menu option. If I open another app, it appears on the taskbar after the bogus one, so I'm losing panel real estate.
    What makes the matter tolerable is that if I switch to a different desktop, and then back again, the taskbar is correct, but I wonder if anyone else has had this problem and fixed it, or if this is just a bug.

GEF

Default Re: Closed windows remain in taskbar under KDE4+Compiz

Though i don't know a fix for your problem you can close windows by one of the following:

1) Open the window which you wanna close and press Ctrl+Alt+Esc, the mouse cursor will become skull shaped, now just click on the window it'll be closed.

2) Press Ctrl+Esc, select the thing which you wanna close and click "Kill Process"

freedguy, this will close the respected apps without them being able to save their settings, which can cause problems.

gropiuskalle, you're right. Its not an alternative to closing windows normally.

I've found a thread describing the exact same problem → [kubuntu] Closed windows stuck in taskbar in KDE4 - Ubuntu Forums, so I guess it's worth being reported to bugs.kde.org.