Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash 10 plugin on SUSE 11.0 x86_64

Default Flash 10 plugin on SUSE 11.0 x86_64

Hi -

I searched on this topic, and it seems that many people have tried and failed to make this work. I needed to try it, and the following procedure seems to work.

1. Leave flash-player version 9 installed on the system.
    2. Download flash-plugin-10.0.12.36-release.i386.rpm from adobe.
    3. Install the plugin with Yast.
    4. As root, rename the file /usr/lib/browser-plugins/libflashplayer.so to something else.
    5. In the same director, create the symbolic link:
    ln -s /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so ./libflashplayer.so
    6. Restart Firefox.

Having done this, I went here:

Version test for Adobe Flash Player

and it claimed that I have version 10 installed. YMMV.

- John

Question Re: Flash 10 plugin on SUSE 11.0 x86_64

What does the symbolic link make?

Greetings

Unhappy Re: Flash 10 plugin on SUSE 11.0 x86_64

Okay i have it!

but the command for the symbolic link has to be:

ln -s /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/browser-plugins/libflashplayer.so

or?
    But for me it is not working! Maybe it is my Kernel version 2.6.27.4 ???

Default Re: Flash 10 plugin on SUSE 11.0 x86_64

I cannot imagine that a problem would be related to the kernel version.

The way this works is that Firefox is a 64-bit application, and flash is 32-bit. So, in /usr/lib64/browser-plugins there is an ndswrapper pointing at /usr/lib/browser-plugins/libflashplayer.so. The rpm from Adobe puts the version 10 libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/flash-plugin/.

If you are having trouble, make sure that file exists.

The goal is to replace the original libflashplayer.so with a symbolic link (with the same name) pointing to the new one. That way you don't need to change the wrapper.

Unhappy Re: Flash 10 plugin on SUSE 11.0 x86_64

I can do what i want, it is not working in my Firefox
    Yes, the file exist.

Any other way that i can check out?
    Change the wrapper?

little_Lee NNTP User

hi.

Im having huge trouble getting flash on my laptop. I haven't had it before on this system and I'm running on 32bit rather than 64. I dont know how much different the 2 systems are but any chance on advice?

Quote Originally Posted by cocolocko View Post
    I can do what i want, it is not working Any other way that i can check out?
    Change the wrapper?
    I think the whole goal is to *not* change the wrapper. Others seems to have some trouble with that. Hence, this approach.

It may matter who packaged your Firefox rpm. I am running:
    3.0.3-2.2-x86_64, which is from Index of /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.0 (I think). It was installed with YaST. I think I had reverted to using the rpm from opensuse-11.0-Updates repository at one point, but I guess I have updated it since then (I vaguely remember a security update a while back). The version that I have does not match an rpm that is currently available.

In any event, try uninstalling Firefox, installing from one of the two above-mentioned repositories, and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by little_Lee View Post
    hi.

Im having huge trouble getting flash on my laptop. I haven't had it before on this system and I'm running on 32bit rather than 64. I dont know how much different the 2 systems are but any chance on advice?
    I don't run 32-bit, so I'm not much help. It rather should "just work" with Flash 9, and if it doesn't, I would just reinstall Firefox and Flash from official repositories.

Before doing that, though you might check in Firefox's Preferences->Applications and make see what is set to deal with Shockwave Flash files. for me it is set to "Use Shockwave Flash (in Firefox)".

On a whim I went ahead and upgraded Firefox to 3.0.4 from the mozilla repository above. Flash 10 is still working!

Question Re: Flash 10 plugin on SUSE 11.0 x86_64

I do it i uninstalled everthing and i installed Firefox from the mozilla repo new, the 3.0.4, and after i install Flash new, but until now i am still loosing.

Greetings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast