Email with MS Exchange in Suse 11.0?

My workplace has standardized on MS Exchange, which means I have to use it for my email. Evolution keeps crashing - this seems to be a common occurence for many people - but I’ve yet to see a solution. It is basically unusable, at least for MS Exchange. And MS Webmail provides only a very bare-bones interface under firefox.

Are there any other solutions which will allow me to read and send mail using an MS Exchange server?

Thanks,
-A.

I’m not sure how this’ll work for you but it has worked for problems with hotmail.
Go into the Fx addressbar type in about:config
In the filter bar type useragent
then look for this line"general.useragent.vendor" under value where it says SUSE change it to Firefox.
Hope it works for you.

This is what I was using up until late September - OpenChange - Evolution Plugin

I connect to an Exchange2007 server, so the Evolution exchange connector was useless for me. This MAPI Provider is exactly what I was looking for. It gives Evo a native connection to the exchange server instead of an OWA link.
Unfortunately, the precompiled binaries have been pulled while some licensing is sorted out. I think the source is available for those who are comfortable building the install files. MAPIProvider - Evolution

If you manage to compile it and get it running, please share the info here.

I got problems after switching to Evolution 2.22 (after 2.6), we use Exchange at work too… After disabling the addressbook I got it too work, all seems ok until I reply on an email. CPU shoots to permanent 100% and it eats memory at a rate of about 100MB per hour (doesn’t crash for me though). Do you experience a similar problem?

Solved it in the meantime by setting up KMail, by using IMAP, although by the cost some calender functionality.

I didn’t try firefox, but I was very pleasantly surprised to find that Konqueror supported mail via OWA very nicely. I wouldn’t call it barebones, it was comparable to using it via IE.

Still, not as nice as a local client, but better than nothing…

Cheers,
KV

Solved it in the meantime by setting up KMail, by using IMAP

Yes. Or Thunderbird will work. I use it for mail on a MS Exchange.

And of course there is calender for TB too

Just noticed this on the MAPI-Provider page:

License changes are complete. The builds will resume shortly.

Looking forward to seeing what progress they made in the past 2 months.

How did you manage this ?

Geoff

The OP said

Are there any other solutions which will allow me to read and send mail using an MS Exchange server?
‘eberkers’ said:
Solved it in the meantime by setting up KMail, by using IMAP, although by the cost some calender functionality.
I said in response:
Yes. Or Thunderbird will work. I use it for mail on a MS Exchange.

And of course there is calender for TB too

Not sure what else you want me to say. Are you asking how?

Yes, only managed to connect to exchange with Evolution would rather use Thunderbird as Evolution adds so much Gnome stuff

Geoff

This link is just for ref:
Internet Message Access Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So long as your server is set to use IMAP - setting the account up in TB is as simple as with any standard POP.

Incidentally, I only collect mail from ‘exchange’ . My normal SMTP is not using the MSexchange.

Later on or as soon as I can. I will test the SMTP from TB with the exchange. And I’ll get back to you.

Ok. Just to confirm it’s a doddle to send and receive mail from a MSExchange server using Thunderbird. I just tested it and it was fine.