Thread: Gnome Slab -- Search and other Q's

Default Gnome Slab -- Search and other Q's

I have a question about the search field in the Gnome Slab menu.

Under Vista, and (IIRC) under KDE4, when you type something in the similarly located search field, it searches your menu items, much like the "filter" field actually does if you click "More Applications" from the Slab menu.

I'd really like the search field in the Gnome menu to work the same way. Is this configurable/possible?

Also, is there an easy way to customize the button on the panel which activates this menu?

Finally, is there an easy way to clear recent documents from this menu as with the traditional menu?

Thanks!

Default Re: Gnome Slab -- Search and other Q's

I'm no longer a gnome user but i'll try to answer your questions.

First of all, dont take pain finding a way to customize slab menu launch button. I've searched almost the entire internet and there's NO way to change that ugly "computer" text. However the computer icon changes as you change your icon theme but again you cant change the icon size.

Secondly, there's no easy way to clear recent documents. You have to do some ugly tweaks. Press Alt+F2 and type gconf-editor. Go to desktop -> gnome -> applications -> main-menu (not so sure of this path as its already many months since i used gnome..but try to find main-menu). Try searching for Recent Documents stuff and limit the number to 0 or 1...the default should be 8.

Dont close gconf-editor yet! Change the search_field key from "beagle-search SEARCH_STRING" to "tracker-search-tool SEARCH_TOOL" and see if you could get desired search behaviour.

To customize the text and icon of slab: Gnome Panel Or Slab - openSUSE Forums

Wow thanks much suskewiet

Thanks for all the answers everyone! I'll give these things a shot tonight...

Hi, found this how-to to clear recent documents in slab menu.

Clear Recent Documents for the main (slab) menu in openSUSE - openSUSE Forums