Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having some Serious O/S woes.....

Default Having some Serious O/S woes.....

I am having serious issues with EXT3. A lot of is my own doing. Let me explain. I have been through two full reinstalls in the last month. What happens each time is I get over ambitious and try to install a Linux or Windows PC game and it craps out and screws up the file system permanently corrupting it. The hard drive it self was a western digital. The first time I tried installing the generic installer of 5.0 Vega Strike and it crapped out the system. The second time, I used Crossover games to install The Witcher 1.0 and as it got to 100% the O/S locked up and **************** up the O/S yet again! My /home directory was hosed and the auto repair off the boxed install DVD can't repair it! My question is, for you more expierenced Linux users out there. I use openSUSE11. Should I switch to JFS or stick with EXT3? My conern here is stability. I am a power pc user. I use my pc to play lots of windows and linux pc games. First off, what commands can I type to run the fdisk check or whatever it is called? Also, if that fails, what file system should I use on the next format reinstall? Thank you soo much in advance!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Having some Serious O/S woes.....

ext3 is mature and stable and it's unlikely that it's causing your problems. Have you ruled out disk errors? Have you done a self-test on the disk with smartctl? It's in the smartmontools package.

No, I don't know how! I'm still a total newb to such things! If you could tell me how or link me to a tutorial, I'd appreciate it! I really would be very depressed if I had to reload, yet again! Thanks ! I know there are disk errors. It tells me there are lots in my /home directory which is where the wine bottle installed too! Any help would be appreciated.

from your description, it sounds there's something wrong with your system rather with ext3. I've never had any corruption or stability problems during the years. JFS is not officially supported by SUSE and is a sort of crappy file system. You could try reiserfs or xfs and see if it works better for you

Blog Entries

Well for a start, boot to single user mode and do a check on your filesystems.

Code:
    fsck
    You'd have to add the option "single" to the boot line, not sure how you do this with the PPC's bootloader, but usually there is a way.

My comptuer has always acted a bit possessed. Under windows, it won't read the network adapter properly, under Linux, it has strange crashes and slow downs on ocassion. I think the motherboard may 'possibly' be going. I do not know for sure though. I had the same disk errors happen while using Ubuntuu from regular use. I don't know if it is the hard drive or motherboard that is causing the issues. Most likely the motherboard.

it could also be a memory corruption, is your RAM alright?

I really would not know. I supposed I could replace the ram and then the motherboard if necessary.

you don't have to replace the memory before confirming it's faulty. You can install memtestx86+ through Yast software management and reboot. Then on the Grub boot screen select memtest and leave it a few hours to do it's testing. If you get errors, it could mean two things. Either your memory is faulty or it is not well seated

Also install smartmontools and run a self-diagnostic on the disk

Buy some experienced friend a beer to open up your box, re-seat your PCI cards, double-check the cables and browse thru your BIOS settings. If this doesn't help, download and burn the Ultimate Boot CD or some other tool to thoroughly check your system. As for RAM check, you can do that directly from the OpenSuSE LiveCD - there should be a memcheck option among the various boot options IIRC. If all this fails, then it's the PSU.
    http://stopsoftwarepatents.eu/
    Even if free software were ****, it should still get our preference over the non-free **** secreted by IT corporations.
    A free rephrasing of RMS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast