Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: When openSUSE 11.1 comes out.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southend on Sea, Essex, UK
    Posts
    167

    Default When openSUSE 11.1 comes out.

    Will I be able to upgrade without re-installing? I currently run 11.0.

    Thanks.
    "We are what we think.
    All that we are arises with our thoughts."

    Buddha in The Dhammapada.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    316

    Default Re: When openSUSE 11.1 comes out.

    Quote Originally Posted by chrispche View Post
    Will I be able to upgrade without re-installing? I currently run 11.0.

    Thanks.
    Generally speaking yes you can.
    Should I advice it NO
    Is there a reason to upgrade already now ?
    dobby9

  3. #3

    Default Re: When openSUSE 11.1 comes out.

    Quote Originally Posted by dobby9 View Post
    Generally speaking yes you can.
    Should I advice it NO
    Is there a reason to upgrade already now ?
    dobby9
    Why would you advise against it?

    You can easily do it.

    The steps:

    Remove 11.0 repositories
    Add 11.1 repositories (OSS / NON-OSS / Update)

    run:
    sudo zypper dup

    You may have to run sudo zypper dup several times (i had to run it twice to update everything form 11.0 to 11.1 beta 3).
    How much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight. - Fight Club

    Ben Kevan's Blog - That's me

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, TN USA
    Posts
    412

    Default Re: When openSUSE 11.1 comes out.

    eclipseagent wrote:

    >
    > dobby9;1894200 Wrote:
    >> Generally speaking yes you can.
    >> Should I advice it NO
    >> Is there a reason to upgrade already now ?
    >> dobby9

    >
    > Why would you advise against it?
    >
    > You can easily do it.
    >
    > The steps:
    >
    > Remove 11.0 repositories
    > Add 11.1 repositories (OSS / NON-OSS / Update)
    >
    > run:
    > sudo zypper dup
    >
    > You may have to run sudo zypper dup several times (i had to run it
    > twice to update everything form 11.0 to 11.1 beta 3).
    >
    >

    I think the biggest reason is to avoid clutter, if a package changes the install location then upgrading will leave the old files where they are an install in the default location. Also if SUSE changes something with the default partition, it happened before, then you will still be using your old filesystem which is no big problem. Also in a case like mine with 11.1 I will finally be able to use the 64 bit of SUSE on my laptop which an architecture change like that can not be done via an upgrade.

    The way I see it upgrading is not a problem if you plan to keep the same setup and don't mind any and all possible clutter.
    --
    "We must plan for freedom, and not only for security, if for no other reason than only freedom can make security more secure." Karl Popper

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    316

    Default Re: When openSUSE 11.1 comes out.

    Quote Originally Posted by eclipseagent View Post
    Why would you advise against it?

    You can easily do it.

    The steps:

    Remove 11.0 repositories
    Add 11.1 repositories (OSS / NON-OSS / Update)

    run:
    sudo zypper dup

    You may have to run sudo zypper dup several times (i had to run it twice to update everything form 11.0 to 11.1 beta 3).
    It is only my opinion I prefer to do a clean install and leaving
    /home untouched
    It gives mostly less problems than upgrading , but of course that
    is for me personally
    dobby9

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southend on Sea, Essex, UK
    Posts
    167

    Default Re: When openSUSE 11.1 comes out.

    So unlike Ubuntu you can't do a distro upgrade.
    "We are what we think.
    All that we are arises with our thoughts."

    Buddha in The Dhammapada.

  7. #7

    Default Re: When openSUSE 11.1 comes out.

    Quote Originally Posted by chrispche View Post
    So unlike Ubuntu you can't do a distro upgrade.
    I have tried the Ubuntu distro upgrade. was not successful in getting a working system afterwards even once. the worst was the dist-upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04.
    I do not trust upgrades in any distro, be it ubuntu, fedora or opensuse.
    a clean and fresh install is what i am most comfortable with.

  8. #8

    Default Re: When openSUSE 11.1 comes out.

    Quote Originally Posted by chrispche View Post
    So unlike Ubuntu you can't do a distro upgrade.
    You can, but whether it is a good idea or not to do so is another question. Personally, I don't think it is. I've used dist-upgrade mechanisms in both OpenSUSE and Ubuntu before, and there's always something going wrong. Well, at least on desktops. I did upgrade an ubuntu-server that way, and that worked flawlessly - probably because there aren't as many packages and dependencies that has to be solved/upgraded compared to a desktop-machine.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    where I am is where I am
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: When openSUSE 11.1 comes out.

    My Personal experience is to do a clean install the distro upgrades are more trouble than they're worth.
    You don't have to do anything really crazy just this:
    1) dl'd opensuse11.1 burn the .iso
    2)leave your 11.0 install in place
    3)put in your 11.1 dvd restart you 'puter
    4)when the screen comes up click the install accept the defaults

    If all has gone well(chances are it has) you'll have everything in your /home as it was pics,documents & the like. Also when you start up Firefox you'll have your bookmarks & extensions right where you had them in 11.0!
    What you WILL NOT have your KDE settings,Gnome settings,vlc,mplayer,flashplayer,etc.
    These things however are all in the repos so you'll probably have to put in as much effort as you did to install 11.0.
    Oh! almost forgot back up your vital documents & pics just in case things don't go well
    I'm just a curious cat
    My 64 bit: RADEON RX 570 |CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600
    MOTHERBOARD B450M D53H GGABYTE
    Opensuse Tumbleweed Plasma 5

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    32

    Cool Re: When openSUSE 11.1 comes out.

    Quote Originally Posted by vendion View Post
    eclipseagent wrote:

    >
    > dobby9;1894200 Wrote:
    >> Generally speaking yes you can.
    >> Should I advice it NO
    >> Is there a reason to upgrade already now ?
    >> dobby9

    >
    > Why would you advise against it?
    >
    > You can easily do it.
    >
    > The steps:
    >
    > Remove 11.0 repositories
    > Add 11.1 repositories (OSS / NON-OSS / Update)
    >
    > run:
    > sudo zypper dup
    >
    > You may have to run sudo zypper dup several times (i had to run it
    > twice to update everything form 11.0 to 11.1 beta 3).
    >
    >

    I think the biggest reason is to avoid clutter, if a package changes the install location then upgrading will leave the old files where they are an install in the default location. Also if SUSE changes something with the default partition, it happened before, then you will still be using your old filesystem which is no big problem. Also in a case like mine with 11.1 I will finally be able to use the 64 bit of SUSE on my laptop which an architecture change like that can not be done via an upgrade.

    The way I see it upgrading is not a problem if you plan to keep the same setup and don't mind any and all possible clutter.
    --
    "We must plan for freedom, and not only for security, if for no other reason than only freedom can make security more secure." Karl Popper
    Is ther that OpenSuse 11.0 del. automaticaly old file and install 11.1 beta X. new files so then ther is no clutter "files"?.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •