VLC & Compiz

I have the following problem:
Since I installed Compiz Fusion on my desktop, I can’t seem to get VLC or any other media player to play video files correctly. I remember back when I used 10.3 with Compiz Emerald, I never had this problem.

Thanks in advance
My System reqs are:
Intel Dual Core T2500 @ 2.00GHz
1 GB RAM
ATI X1600 Mobility
OpenSuse 11.0
GNOME

Although it’s not much of an answer, you did mention trying other mediaplayers.

I got SMplayer (Mplayer + fancy gui) working just fine along with Compiz-Fusion.
It’s a more than decent alternative to VLC with great subtitle support and plays pretty much anything.

If you want to stick with vlc I suggest trying to find some video output option and messing around with that.

I installed SMplayer but I still get the same problems. To be precise I get a flashing screen (black flash) and an annoying flicker.

Don’t think I can be of any help then as it works perfectly for me, can just advice you to make sure you have the latest ATI drivers installed.

How to do install them is described on ATI - openSUSE (including a nice one click installer). But I’m guessing you already did since you got some function out of Compiz-Fusion.

ToxicWaste, you could try to:
a. disable special desktop effects (ie Compiz) and see if your video works, or
b. in each of your Media Players, change the output video mode from “auto” (or from “xv” (xvideo)) to “x11”.

Also, a number of users of Intel graphic cards also have this problem in openSUSE-11.0. Some managed to find an edit to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to address this. Does your PC have an Intel graphics card?

I think Lee (oldcpu) is probably in the ball park with (b)
I had to change settings in video output on laptop to x11

let us know if it resolves the problem please.

Thanks a million guys!!!

Oldcpu yes, after deactivating Desktop Effects, everything worked fine. Once I re-activated them I got the same issue.

I switched my players to X11 and everything works fine. The only problem I have is that VLC doesn’t have any audio any more no matter what I do to change the settings in the audio menu. That is a shame 'cause VLC was my favourite. No matter, I will use SMplayer from now on.

Good night!