Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Why are file timestamps 5 hours diff. from taskbar clock?

  1. #1

    Default Why are file timestamps 5 hours diff. from taskbar clock?

    My Taskbar clock has the correct time right now (8:50) but when I create a file (either in Dolphin or through any application) the time stamp says 1:50pm! What could be causing this?

    Aren't they supposed to get the time from the same spot?

    NOTE: When I am in Konsole and check with "ls -l" the time is correct! It's in Dolphin that it's incorrect! What could cause this?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,079
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Why are file timestamps 5 hours diff. from taskbar clock?

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr
    My Taskbar clock has the correct time right now (8:50) but when I create
    a file (either in Dolphin or through any application) the time stamp
    says 1:50pm! What could be causing this?

    Aren't they supposed to get the time from the same spot?
    Hi
    Sounds like the difference between your localtime and UTC time, what is
    the output from the following one line command;
    Code:
    /sbin/hwclock && date && date -u && touch test && ls -la test
    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
    up 19:55, 3 users, load average: 0.08, 0.06, 0.08
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.80


  3. #3

    Default Re: Why are file timestamps 5 hours diff. from taskbar clock

    In further research, I found this problem:

    # hwclock
    Fri 07 Nov 2008 09:07:02 AM EST -0.386418 seconds
    # date
    Fri Nov 7 09:07:07 EST 2008
    # date -u
    Fri Nov 7 14:07:12 UTC 2008

    Notice the 5-hour difference on "date -u"!! How do I fix this?

    Will going into "YAST->etc/sys-config Editor->System->Environment->HWCLOCK" and changing it from "-u" to "--localtime" fix the problem? Does it require a restart after that? Also, is it two dashes before "localtime"?

    (NOTE: I only have OpenSUSE 11.0 on this comp, no other OS)

  4. #4

    Default Re: Why are file timestamps 5 hours diff. from taskbar clock

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Sounds like the difference between your localtime and UTC time, what is
    the output from the following one line command;
    Code:
    /sbin/hwclock && date && date -u && touch test && ls -la test
    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
    up 19:55, 3 users, load average: 0.08, 0.06, 0.08
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.80
    Code:
    Fri 07 Nov 2008 09:15:55 AM EST  -0.654119 seconds
    Fri Nov  7 09:15:54 EST 2008
    Fri Nov  7 14:15:54 UTC 2008
    How do I fix this?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,079
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Why are file timestamps 5 hours diff. from taskbar clock?

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr
    In further research, I found this problem:

    # HWCLOCK
    Fri 07 Nov 2008 *09*:07:02 AM EST -0.386418 seconds
    # DATE
    Fri Nov 7 *09*:07:07 EST 2008
    # DATE -U
    Fri Nov 7 *14*:07:12 UTC 2008

    Notice the 5-hour difference on "date -u"!! How do I fix this?

    Will going into "YAST->etc/sys-config
    Editor->System->Environment->HWCLOCK" and changing it from "-u" to
    "--localtime" fix the problem? Does it require a restart after that?
    Also, is it two dashes before "localtime"?

    (NOTE: I only have OpenSUSE 11.0 on this comp, no other OS)
    Hi
    Yes it should be set to --localtime. No the UTC time difference is
    correct... (date -u) I also have systohc set to yes.

    I also use ntp, you may wish to investigate that and use some public
    servers.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
    up 20:17, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.11, 0.08
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.80


  6. #6

    Default Re: Why are file timestamps 5 hours diff. from taskbar clock

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Yes it should be set to --localtime. No the UTC time difference is
    correct... (date -u) I also have systohc set to yes.

    I also use ntp, you may wish to investigate that and use some public
    servers.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
    up 20:17, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.11, 0.08
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.80
    Thanks! I assume it needs a restart to take effect? (I did the change and got no difference so far)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,079
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Why are file timestamps 5 hours diff. from taskbar clock?

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr
    malcolmlewis;1893074 Wrote:
    > Hi
    > Yes it should be set to --localtime. No the UTC time difference is
    > correct... (date -u) I also have systohc set to yes.
    >
    > I also use ntp, you may wish to investigate that and use some public
    > servers.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    > openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
    > up 20:17, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.11, 0.08
    > GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.80


    Thanks! I assume it needs a restart to take effect? (I did the change
    and got no difference so far)
    Hi
    Probably best to.... will need to reload modules.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
    up 20:58, 2 users, load average: 0.38, 0.35, 0.28
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.80


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,601

    Default Re: Why are file timestamps 5 hours diff. from taskbar clock

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    My Taskbar clock has the correct time right now (8:50) but when I create a file (either in Dolphin or through any application) the time stamp says 1:50pm! What could be causing this?

    Aren't they supposed to get the time from the same spot?

    NOTE: When I am in Konsole and check with "ls -l" the time is correct! It's in Dolphin that it's incorrect! What could cause this?
    As you live in EST and have the correct time in your GUI.
    And as asking the time in UTC gives a 5 hour difference (isn't that normal?).
    The only strange thing is that Dolphin used UTC instead of EST. IMHO that could have two explanations:
    a. you run Dolphin from another user, that is defined as living in UTC. or
    b. Dolphin shows times always as UTC (I do not use Dolphin, so I am guessing), or can be configured to use it's own timezone independent from the environment it runs in.

    My conclusion: when you just start Dolphin from your normal GUI b. must be the case. Look for some configuration of Dolphin about timezone.
    Henk van Velden

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,273

    Default Re: Why are file timestamps 5 hours diff. from taskbar clock

    Not sure as I don't use KDE 4... but from what I've been reading there seems to be a bug in Dophin when using KDE 4.0.
    Should be fixed by now with KDE 4.1.x as I haven't seen this reported much lately.

    Just a thought...
    Have a lot of fun!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •